Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Default Re: So what has gone wrong this year ?

Have had a few more issues this year. Prestige 500 2016.

1: Blew 12v circuit. This also has the stereo (can live without) and the seakeeper control unit (which the wife cannot live without, so nor can I). Electrician out to swap to an unused part.
    2: Sewage smell in 2nd/3rd bedrooms. Air con units drawing air up from the bilge due to gaps around pipes. Solution is to stuff some towels down there.
    3: Cummins generator would stop after 20 mins. At first I thought it was less than this so changed the impeller. It wasn't but actually due to the heat exchanger being fouled up with salt. Will now have that cleaned when it is serviced.
    4: Anchor housing fell apart, bolts literally fell off. In future will check how tight they are.
    5: Ecomar system various pumps stopped. Salt water pump is fairly easy to sort. However the pump to dump it overboard not so easy (or clean). Will keep the system running all year and get people who look after the boat to fliush toilets on a regular basis.
    6: Raymarine screens aren't as good as they were. Both can stop responding to the touch screen. Another can select menu items whenever it wants to. Not really looked at this yet but assume heat related.
    7: One of the sunbeds has pulled screws out of the back.

We only returned to port one day so far this year to sort the anchor housing as couldn't stay at anchor with it as it was.

Williams tender has been fine - I get this serviced twice a year though.

Bin the plastic box and fit a Whale gulper in line with an on off switch 100% reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    Perhaps when you are next on the boat you could be kind enough to take a pic. I am thoroughly fed up with these bloody things. Thanks
    The sump box with bilge pump set-up will always fail and leak my experience. Had to pump out manky shower water from the bilge several times so during the last winter I removed ours and fitted a switched Jabsco pump on recommendation. So far so good and if the experience of others is a measure it should be good for many years.

https://www.tcschandlery.co.uk/jabsc...CABEgL7ZvD_BwE

We bought our 2004 Sealine S34 last year and did a lot of work over the winter - new canopy, re-upholster of the cockpit, new bespoke carbon fibre moulded dash and complete electronics upgrade with addition of an autopilot...oh and the aforementioned new shower pump. Some by choice, some out of necessity but we started the season in tip top order

So what has gone wrong?
    New batteries required early doors.
    Shredded an alternator belt in May - never, ever happened to us before - returned to the marina and next day had Volvo guy aboard replacing all belts (usually do this sort of stuff myself but they are based in the marina and had everything in stock so it was just easier to let them do the lot). SWMBO made coffee for us and when going back below slipped on the saloon steps and descended way quicker than intended - fractured her clavicle, five ribs and crush fractured a big toe. All very traumatic and an obvious knock on effect for the season as she recovers so we have been limited to river trips only.

Now on our first sea cruise as my good lady recovers and have found an oil leak on one engine.

Bloody boats!
    Last edited by Greg2; 20-08-19 at 23:02.

Fjord 815 1984 and 4 year refit....Not the best year so far. April, May and half of June were lost sorting heat exchangers etc on elderly 40B, in the end seems it was the raw water pump, replaced at some time in the past for the wrong one?. Whilst doing this we were clobbered on our mooring by boat unknown, which chewed half our port side, resulting in a £2k repair (professional). Nav and Gen were very good about it, and after signing off on Thursday receiver a cheque on the Saturday. Repairer got perfect colour match and managed to 'fit me in' amongst all the other work he currently had.
    Early July saw us going cruising at last and on the lower reaches fired up radar (Quantum bought 2 years ago) which steadfastly refused to function with the massage 'unable to connect, scanner not rotating' Long and short was it had filled with water? and returned to chandler from where it was purchased. It appeared that the screws which hold both halves of the randome together, were not tightened properly, resulting in gradual water ingress. This was acknowledged by Raymarine, who sent a complete replacement F.O.C. within 3 working days, and the screws were also loose on that one too!!. So if you have one of these CHECK THE SCREWS!!…….

Oh.... and the cold feed to the calorifier came off, depositing 50 odd gallons into the engine space bilge....I've never seen the bilge so clean for a along time

that's it so far. Going East coast next week so we'll see what else falls off.....

Quote Originally Posted by BartW View Post
    Ok, there we go

1) First week in july we felt the power of the bow thruster was weak, visual inspection showed that the propeller had lost one blade
    Ordered a new prop from Vetus, son brought it onboard, and some time later I got a side mooring, and took on the dive gear and replaced it,
    The two other blades where ripped off during the sideway mooring against a strong wind, but we were just able to throw the ropes …

This is what’s left from the prop hub

And these are the tools that I used for replacing the prop under water, (with a scuba dive set)

2) Jetski (Yamaha Superjet) trouble
    - knackered battery, ordered at the local Italian chandler, delivered last minute after much swearing ...
    - insufficient movement of the choke valves due to corrosion, a drop of grease saved the day
    - Cooling water hose disconnected and was burned against exhaust damper (Andymac knows about that one)
    - Big 100mm diam exhaust gas hose had a crack, (exhaust gas going in the air inlet causing drop of power), was able to repair temporarily by shortening that hose, ordered new hose from asap uk, on its way.., but jetski is still working and more powerfull than ever ;-)

3) Tender issues
    - Knackered battery
    - Finally got the fuel level gauge working (after 6 seasons of using without and after much swearing falling without fuel, and faffing to get the air out of the fuel hose...)
    Problem was that the connector with the fuel level sensor was connected to the wrong socked (as delivered from Novurania)
    - Replaced the remaining original very bad quality US seat hinges
    - Re cabled the power supply to plotter so that it can be swiched on and off with a external switch (avoiding its stay’s on all night)
    yes I know, this should have been winter jobs, but some of my guests love faffing on boats instead of visiting the village Carloforte, when the wind forecast is too bad for going out,

4) One generator stopped running because of high temp, -> worn belt from the alternator and closed circuit cooling water pump, spare belt was onboard, replacing took 15minutes, but getting at it and putting everything back in place took half a day

5) My 27yo Gianneci blackwater tank discharging pump stopped pumping, (but it kept on running and vibrating…) opening the pump revealed that there was a peach nut, obstructing the entrance (hose diameter reduced from 35mm to 25mm isch) god knows how the nut got in to the tank ! The nut had even passed the big one way valve at the entrance of the pump !

6) Bilge water alarm in engine room, fresh water leaking, one of these “Speed Fit” EPDM water hose connections had a crack, spares are onboard, easy fix

7) The hinge of our retrofit transom door, one SS welding is starting to crack, job for coming winter, with some care, we can use it with the crack until then.

8) One of the scuba tank compressors (we use them mainly for filling the inflatable water toy’s) started giving short “explosions of air” when hot,
    it’s the 9bar overpressure valve between first and second stage, going bad, (could swap with the valve from the other compressor) easy job, but difficult acces = lots of swearing !!!

9) Our inflatable Golden Swan got a big crevasse, she is beyond repair , the girls were to rough with her..

Apart from that I had to replace a few hinges, and tighten some screws on furniture
    but holliday’s were never in danger,
    just one more week to go !
    "just one more week to go".......hang in there Bart, I hope all the sun and fun isn't being too hard on you

Do you think guests have been sitting on the transom door when it's slightly open, putting pressure on the hinges? You would expect the screws to pull out from the transom or door itself before the weld cracked.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Positively +1.
    I can't wait for Aug to come to an end, and the hoi polloi (including some with their superyachts!) to return to their busy lives.
    Sep and Oct are THE boating season, imho.
    So, ask again in Nov! :
    You'll be pleased when the Aug rush is over.
    How did E go with the IPS seal leak issue, did he sort it?

It makes me feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one having a list of things that never really ends!! Every time I think I have everything sorted something else turns up!

So far this year:
    - cable stuck to outdrive - EVC shutting down engine
    - cable has ruined the actuator
    - steering rams leaking
    - Raymarine VHF has stopped working - no sound through speaker
    - shower sump stopped working - twice
    - a leak behind the saloon fridge has stained the carpet. Need to get fridge out and see whats going on
    - New canopy was needed as the old one ripped itself apart in winds
    - RIB is leaking water in through the bung so that keeps flooding. Trailer is at home and new car has no tow bar yet.

I think thats about it - for now. Boat comes out next week (only been waiting 9 months) for items 1,2 and 3 to be fixed. Pulling RIB out this weekend too to sort that little drama.

Quote Originally Posted by AndieMac View Post
    "just one more week to go".......hang in there Bart, I hope all the sun and fun isn't being too hard on you

Do you think guests have been sitting on the transom door when it's slightly open, putting pressure on the hinges? You would expect the screws to pull out from the transom or door itself before the weld cracked.
    not sure C, I think it is the weight from the door, and the stress, and impact on that part, from opening her each time, there is a strong momentum on this part.
    here you can see that part in the bottom of the frame, slightly twisted, and with the cracked weldings

Quote Originally Posted by AndieMac View Post
    You'll be pleased when the Aug rush is over.
    How did E go with the IPS seal leak issue, did he sort it?
    Not yet. They went cruising with other friends of ours on their boat, for the moment.
    Which ain't a bad idea, 'fiuaskme: as the old saying goes, the best boats are friends boats...

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast