Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Default Re: So what has gone wrong this year ?

Quote Originally Posted by BartW View Post
    Ok, there we go

1) First week in july we felt the power of the bow thruster was weak, visual inspection showed that the propeller had lost one blade
    Ordered a new prop from Vetus, son brought it onboard, and some time later I got a side mooring, and took on the dive gear and replaced it,
    The two other blades where ripped off during the sideway mooring against a strong wind, but we were just able to throw the ropes …

This is what’s left from the prop hub

And these are the tools that I used for replacing the prop under water, (with a scuba dive set)

2) Jetski (Yamaha Superjet) trouble
    - knackered battery, ordered at the local Italian chandler, delivered last minute after much swearing ...
    - insufficient movement of the choke valves due to corrosion, a drop of grease saved the day
    - Cooling water hose disconnected and was burned against exhaust damper (Andymac knows about that one)
    - Big 100mm diam exhaust gas hose had a crack, (exhaust gas going in the air inlet causing drop of power), was able to repair temporarily by shortening that hose, ordered new hose from asap uk, on its way.., but jetski is still working and more powerfull than ever ;-)

3) Tender issues
    - Knackered battery
    - Finally got the fuel level gauge working (after 6 seasons of using without and after much swearing falling without fuel, and faffing to get the air out of the fuel hose...)
    Problem was that the connector with the fuel level sensor was connected to the wrong socked (as delivered from Novurania)
    - Replaced the remaining original very bad quality US seat hinges
    - Re cabled the power supply to plotter so that it can be swiched on and off with a external switch (avoiding its stay’s on all night)
    yes I know, this should have been winter jobs, but some of my guests love faffing on boats instead of visiting the village Carloforte, when the wind forecast is too bad for going out,

4) One generator stopped running because of high temp, -> worn belt from the alternator and closed circuit cooling water pump, spare belt was onboard, replacing took 15minutes, but getting at it and putting everything back in place took half a day

5) My 27yo Gianneci blackwater tank discharging pump stopped pumping, (but it kept on running and vibrating…) opening the pump revealed that there was a peach nut, obstructing the entrance (hose diameter reduced from 35mm to 25mm isch) god knows how the nut got in to the tank ! The nut had even passed the big one way valve at the entrance of the pump !

6) Bilge water alarm in engine room, fresh water leaking, one of these “Speed Fit” EPDM water hose connections had a crack, spares are onboard, easy fix

7) The hinge of our retrofit transom door, one SS welding is starting to crack, job for coming winter, with some care, we can use it with the crack until then.

8) One of the scuba tank compressors (we use them mainly for filling the inflatable water toy’s) started giving short “explosions of air” when hot,
    it’s the 9bar overpressure valve between first and second stage, going bad, (could swap with the valve from the other compressor) easy job, but difficult acces = lots of swearing !!!

9) Our inflatable Golden Swan got a big crevasse, she is beyond repair , the girls were to rough with her..

Apart from that I had to replace a few hinges, and tighten some screws on furniture
    but holliday’s were never in danger,
    just one more week to go !
    10) Bilge water alarm in engine room
    lots of water around one generator,
    -> crack in a seawater hose (right behind the raw water pump), and pumping load of seawater in to the boat !
    temporary repair, cut 5cm from that hose, and connect again
    and advice to myself; all hoses from both genny's feel quite crisp, so winterjob, replace ALL of them
    (most of them are 27yo)
    And reflecting on the event, we have a automatic geny start every night on anker (5...8am) when battery's are drained at 60%,
    I'm not sure if I can hear the bilge alarm in my bed,
    NEED TO TEST URGENTLY

not sure C, I think it is the weight from the door, and the stress, and impact on that part, from opening her each time, there is a strong momentum on this part.
    here you can see that part in the bottom of the frame, slightly twisted, and with the cracked weldings

I thought you meant the smaller upper transom doors in the cockpit, when I mentioned guests sitting on it.
    Not sure about the big water-tight door, it's not as though you ever leave it open when underway to create extra leverage on the hinges. Perhaps the hinge was poorly manufactured.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    ........the best boats are friends boats...
    I can't argue with that

Quote Originally Posted by AndieMac View Post
    Perhaps the hinge was poorly manufactured.
    or rated for a much lower load?

V.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    1. Fridge (new one required)
    2. Clutch cables (lubricated and adjusted)
    3. Weird revving issue (unresolved)
    4. Pre filters changed (related to 3. above)
    5. Radar / GPS / Nav lights unit became detached (bolts and screws replaced) (€2)
    6. Unplanned A/F of drives required
    7. New clear sections for hoods and stitching repaired
    8. Minor flooding due to loose plumbing connection (no cost)
    9. New Spanish courtesy flag required (€3)
    10. New boat hook required (old one lost overboard)
    11. New fender socks
    12. Knackered Turbo's

Still, it's only money

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    12. Knackered Turbo's

Still, it's only money
    Should have bought a Sealine
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelighter View Post
    Hardly anything....
    Me neither, only the sternthruster motor packed up and thats not a dealbreaker. Thats because we bought good boats

5) My 27yo Gianneci blackwater tank discharging pump stopped pumping, (but it kept on running and vibrating…) opening the pump revealed that there was a peach nut, obstructing the entrance (hose diameter reduced from 35mm to 25mm isch) god knows how the nut got in to the tank ! The nut had even passed the big one way valve at the entrance of the pump !
    Those Gianneschi macerator pumps are really good. I had mine pulled apart by a yard for inspection and servicing when the boat was 10yrs old and they said I shouldnt have bothered because there was nothing wrong with it

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Me neither, only the sternthruster motor packed up and thats not a dealbreaker. Thats because we bought good boats
    I think Jez was being sarcastic!

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    Should have bought a Sealine
    Buy a Sealine and a knackered Turbo will be the lest of your problems!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast