Default Auto Pilot Gone Rogue

Hi. Anyone got any thoughts as to what might be causing My auto Pilot to go 50 degrees off course to Port every time I push it on? The panel seems to be reading the correct headings etc when in standby mode and I have checked the factory settings all ok but as soon as I push it on I start heading port fairly hard to a course about 50 degrees out. I can adjust obviously by 50 degrees and it follows the real course but then It starts bleeping as the Auto thinks am 50 degrees off course. It's been working fine and the system was replaced last year. Raymarine E120 navigation on a s58 with SmartPilot. Just re calibration perhaps? Any thoughts welcome.

Ps too scared to answer Jrudge post until end of summer suffice to say that solenoid on starter motor of generator ceased working. Replaced the starter motor. All fine. One week later it failed again. Now think something ie a relay or switch is stuck and burning it out. Who would own a boat!!

Default Re: Auto Pilot Gone Rogue

have you checked the rudder position sensor ?
    it's fixed somewhere in the bilge, on the rudder drive mechanism,
    its a very corrosive environment, long ago I had the small rod to that sensor corroded /disconnected

Quote Originally Posted by BartW View Post
    have you checked the rudder position sensor ?
    it's fixed somewhere in the bilge, on the rudder drive mechanism,
    its a very corrosive environment, long ago I had the small rod to that sensor corroded /disconnected
    Thanks. Will go down into the dungeon and look. I did check the settings against a track as per manual advice ie checking that the dock settings were fine and the rudder was tracked correctly.

The rudder position should be shown on the bottom of the display which may save you a visit to the bilges.

I used to have big issues on my T40 and replaced the flux gate sensor several times - but that leads to the heading on the unit showing as incorrect which yours does not seem to be doing.

It is interesting that it will actually track consistently at 50 degrees off.

I would try calibration and see what happens. It does not take long - it just hassles you - turn faster, turn slower.

If that does not work Raymarine support are pretty helpful over the phone.

What happens if you set a GOTO point and ask it to track towards it?

In standby position rudder on the Pilot works fine. If either set a GOTO or just hit Auto then off she goes. Makes pootling rather painful at the helm!! Will recalibrate first and then see if that fixes it. I guess other options are the compass or Gyro.

Gyro only helps stability but it could be faulty. You can disconnect and see what happens.

Compass must be ok if the heading shown is correct

Took her out today to recalibrate and she is working fine and haven't done a thing!! Not sure whether this is a good or bad thing!!!!

maybe a heavy metallic object was unintentionally placed near the digital compass /gyro whatever thing?

Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post
    maybe a heavy metallic object was unintentionally placed near the digital compass /gyro whatever thing?
    I had an issue a month or so ago when somebody moved Alexa to a position where she could be heard better.....