Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Uncharted obstruction, Pilsey sands, Chichester.

Just got an e mail from the Conservancy that there is an obstruction ....

1. An uncharted obstruction has been identified on Pilsey Sands located approximately 230 metres ENE of the North Pilsey Navigation Buoy centred on position 50°47.764'N, 000°56.139'W.
    2. The obstruction comprises the remains of a scaffold structure, extending for 24 metres in an east/west alignment, with metal elements protruding above the sea bed.

I often sail right over this at HW cutting the corner from the Emsworth channel towards East Head. Loads of dinghies sail over there too (presumably that is how the structure was discovered).

Should it be bouyed? Can be nice to cut the corner and get out of the traffic and watch the depth sounder.

Default Re: Uncharted obstruction, Pilsey sands, Chichester.

It would be interesting on a historical level to find what the structure was, maybe a part of the WWII Starfish decoy system, RAF Thorney Island or the British World Air Speed Record flights by Neville Duke, Bill Waterton & co ?

Either way I've sailed dinghies over there many a time and seen lots of cruisers over there too, we were lucky and could well do without a scaffolding pole through the bilges .

Hopefully Chichester Conservancy's copious funds will be used to remove the danger.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Screenshot_20190819-214438.jpg

It is charted on Navionics

LNTM issued and Navionics updated by the Commission

https://www.conservancy.co.uk/page/no11-2019

Well I'm impressed it is on Navionics but I shall have to remember it is there as I don't have Navionics, and would not have my tablet on there as it's my home patch. On Navionics kind of implies no intention to remove it (or bouy it). Obviously it has been there a good long time.

Quote Originally Posted by FairweatherDave View Post
    Well I'm impressed it is on Navionics but I shall have to remember it is there as I don't have Navionics, and would not have my tablet on there as it's my home patch. On Navionics kind of implies no intention to remove it (or bouy it). Obviously it has been there a good long time.
    Not quite navionics but 'crowdsourced', someone who uses navionics put it on there.

Quote Originally Posted by FairweatherDave View Post
    Well I'm impressed it is on Navionics
    The little green "plus" symbol means it's been added by a user rather than Navionics themselves - kind of a navigational Wikipedia.

XDC in post 4 suggests the user in question was the harbour Conservancy, which is nicely proactive of them.

Pete

How has this only been discovered in such a busy place?

That patch dries out, so I would assume that a combination of wind tide and weather has scoured the top surface off leaving it exposed or someone may have found it with a boat/dinghy. As it is due south of Thorney I would suspect as Seajet has said it was part of the decoy system set up to protect Thorney Island airfield, in which case i wonder if there will be others following the stbd side of the Emsworth Channel ?

Quote Originally Posted by chrishscorp View Post
    That patch dries out, so I would assume that a combination of wind tide and weather has scoured the top surface off leaving it exposed
    That would be my guess. It's close to my standard route going round from Fishbourne Channel to Emsworth Channel. I do it at all states of tide and at that point I'm always watching that way for seals, I think it's unlikely that I would have missed it and impossible that nobody has ever noticed it before. Will have a poke around in the Kayak when I get a chance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast