Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Port Solent Diesel

Just a heads up. Port Solent (and maybe all Premier marinas?) will no longer fill diesel cans.
    I have a relatively small fuel tank so have always bought diesel by taking my cans to fill at Port Solent. They sell low FAME red diesel pre-dosed with Soltron or equivalent.
    Now they will only sell me diesel if my boat is at the fuel jetty, and it must be into the tank. So lock in, tie up, lock out. Just to get 20L of diesel seems a bit of overkill.

I expect it won't be long before it become 'uneconomic' to lock me in and out just to buy diesel.

Rant over.

Default Re: Port Solent Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by alahol2 View Post
    Just a heads up. Port Solent (and maybe all Premier marinas?) will no longer fill diesel cans.
    I have a relatively small fuel tank so have always bought diesel by taking my cans to fill at Port Solent. They sell low FAME red diesel pre-dosed with Soltron or equivalent.
    Now they will only sell me diesel if my boat is at the fuel jetty, and it must be into the tank. So lock in, tie up, lock out. Just to get 20L of diesel seems a bit of overkill.

I expect it won't be long before it become 'uneconomic' to lock me in and out just to buy diesel.

Rant over.
    Why not write to them and ask them why, and publish it here?

“Idiots” is my uninformed first reaction.

Why not get diesle from the self serve at gosport on your way out the harbour? You can fill a Jerry can there

My guess is that they are worried about fuel spillage. It is easy to overfill a jerry can and I've seen a few cases of slicks in marinas caused by this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Why not write to them and ask them why, and publish it here?
    I have and I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Teko View Post
    Why not get diesle from the self serve at gosport on your way out the harbour? You can fill a Jerry can there
    I guess I could but it's an interruption to my trip. Up 'til now I've filled the cans on days that I'm not sailing.

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    My guess is that they are worried about fuel spillage. It is easy to overfill a jerry can and I've seen a few cases of slicks in marinas caused by this.
    May well be. Though filling a can shoreside, the can sits over a spill drain channel.

Actually I remember seeing Sunsail staff filling a trolly load of jerrycans. I wonder if they too are affected? I'm not sure I've ever seen a Sunsail boat at the fuel jetty, Maybe they've got their own supply point.

I fill the jerry can at the garage when I am driving down to the boat.

I was in a marina the other day where the red was more expensive that my local Shell garage!
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I fill the jerry can at the garage when I am driving down to the boat.

I was in a marina the other day where the red was more expensive that my local Shell garage!
    The local garage is actually more convenient but the diesel sold at Port Solent is low FAME and Soltron treated. Maybe that makes no difference but why risk it if I don't have to. I've not had a fuel problem in the 15 years or so that I've been using it.
    The price is really not that relevant, I use so little that I would happily pay a bit more for the peace of mind.

I put my jerry can in the cockpit locker and when questioned I claim to have two fue tanks with the other opening in the locker.

Quote Originally Posted by STOL71 View Post
    I put my jerry can in the cockpit locker and when questioned I claim to have two fue tanks with the other opening in the locker.
    If you were the OP you'd still have to bring your cockpit locker through the lock and up to the fuel berth, which is what he's trying to avoid.

Personally in his position I'd just fill my jerrycan at the garage - the whole point seems to be to buy fuel when not sailing, so a garage he's driving past anyway could hardly be easier. Simple enough to add his treatment jollop of choice to a 20l can, it's not like he's a Sunseeker having to add a bucket of it to a 5000-litre fill up where the supplier doing the job instead is genuinely useful.

Interestingly my dad has got the opposite idea into his head and keeps filling the tank with road diesel from the garage in preference to buying red on the water. Personally I can't see that it makes a blind bit of difference to a simple low-tech, low-stress industrial generator engine with a small tank (fast turnover) and top-quality filters, but it makes him happy.

Pete

Could it be that they are concerned about the legal status of supplying red diesel in a can as it could be being used for a road vehicle. Not sure what the rules are. All a bit irritating though. Common sense out of the window once again.
    Youtube - Lee Shores, Lazy Jacks and Lunches
    https://youtu.be/qrkJP42i89c

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast