Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: Orwell to St Katherines Dock advice please

You need two flood tides.

Another vote for the night in Queenborough and for stopping at Limehouse not St Katherine’s. The Limehouse entrance is best taken when the tidal stream is fairly slack.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelm View Post
    £113 per night for 45ft
    not worth the bother really
    I am so glad we went there when we did.
    Shudder to think what a 40ft cat would cost now!
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

There are some choices for the best timing and one potential tidal gate.

For example, using my book's waypoints: outside Harwich Harbour to the Sea Reach (for the Thames) or the Medway Approach Channel (for Queenborough) would have the best timing:

Harwich to Sea Reach via the Wallet, Spitway and West Swin = 33.12nm, best time at Springs at 5kts = 5 hrs 20 mins: at 6kts = 4 hrs 32 mins: at Neaps at 5kts = 5hrs 39 mins: at 6kts = 4hrs 45mins
    Harwich to Sea Reach via Goldmer Gat, Barrow Deep = 38.03nm, best time at Springs at 5kts = 5 hrs 43 mins: at 6kts = 4 hrs 54mins: at Neaps at 5kts = 6hrs 18mins: at 6kts = 5hrs 25mins

Harwich to Medway Approaches via Wallet, Spitway etc = 36.35nm, best time at Springs at 5kts = 5 hrs 54 mins: at 6kts = 4 hrs 58mins: at Neaps at 5kts = 6hrs 14mins: at 6kts = 5hrs 16mins
    Harwich to Medway Approaches via Goldmer Gat, Barrow Deep = 41.07nm, best time at Springs at 5kts = 6 hrs 12 mins: at 6kts = 5 hrs 19mins: at Neaps at 5kts = 6hrs 51mins: at 6kts = 5hrs 55mins

Obviously via the Wallet and Spitway is shorter (and worth saving the distance) but will bring into play the Spitway as a potential tidal gate. The best start times (i.e. those with the shortest passage durations) will bring you to the Spitway about half tide which I would argue is fine with a 2m draught but if you fancied starting earlier so as to arrive at a more convenient time (social navigation ) while the passage duration might only be 30 minutes longer but it might coincide you at LW at the Spitway (which is less than 2m at CD - see my Spitway Download.

If you can define a few things like a choice to Queenborough or the Sea Reach for right up the Thames, average boat speed it can be pinned down. Predictions for 3 , 4 and 7 knots, even 8 knots (that's normally just for me! ) can be provided.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Quote Originally Posted by MoodySabre View Post
    For lunch try the Yurt Cafe in the grounds of the St Katharine FoundAtion. Right near the entrance to the DLR.
    That sounds highly improbable. To my eyes, it suggests some sort of Mongolian establishment with its chief speciality being strips of boiled mutton fat washed down with mares' milk. Please tell me I am wrong.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    That sounds highly improbable. To my eyes, it suggests some sort of Mongolian establishment with its chief speciality being strips of boiled mutton fat washed down with mares' milk. Please tell me I am wrong.
    https://precinct.rfsk.org/2-2/yurt-cafe/
    Pardon?

You are very wrong. The building is a Yurt. That's all.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by MoodySabre View Post
    You are very wrong. The building is a Yurt. That's all.
    That's a relief. Not that a poor pensioner like me can afford St Katt's fees anyway.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

That's a relief. Not that a poor pensioner like me can afford St Katt's fees anyway.
    The Foundation is no longer in St Kats - it was relocated when the old church there was demolished.
    You can go into the Foundation Chapel which is very nice and the buildings seen from the internal forecourt are very grand - particularly the Masters House. This is right by the traffic lights at the the western end of the Limehouse Link.
    Not all who wander are lost

About 25 years ago i won the contract to re furbish (and rebuild part) of a lighthouse just on the corner of Limehouse basin. Not sure if it is still there. Have not been back since.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

St Kats is a very special haven and the views at night over the Tower and Thames are world class. But you will pay for the pleasure. But for one night....

Landing at Limehouse basin leaves a lot more loot in the pocket for a nice meal ashore and the lock there is more forgiving. DLR trains right on the doorstep for trips into town. The CA clubhouse is right on the marina - call in for food and a friendly chat. Member advice!

PWG

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast