Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is there a trick to removing the paddle wheel in a Raymarine log

The speed log constantly underreads. I have tried recalibrating

I wonder if the wheel is not spinning as freely as it might. I would like to clean the housing and the pin. There is a pin that goes through from one side to the other. It is simply by an interference fit, meaning I can knock it out?
    I see that there is a kit with a replacement wheel. I am not so sure replacing it will help so I would like to try cleaning first!

Thanks

Tudordsailor

Default Re: Is there a trick to removing the paddle wheel in a Raymarine log

Quote Originally Posted by tudorsailor View Post
    The speed log constantly underreads. I have tried recalibrating

I wonder if the wheel is not spinning as freely as it might. I would like to clean the housing and the pin. There is a pin that goes through from one side to the other. It is simply by an interference fit, meaning I can knock it out?
    I see that there is a kit with a replacement wheel. I am not so sure replacing it will help so I would like to try cleaning first!

Thanks

Tudordsailor
    raymarine have a very good q&a page if you search + i phoned yesterday for advice, all freely given & most helpful

Quote Originally Posted by tudorsailor View Post
    There is a pin that goes through from one side to the other. It is simply by an interference fit, meaning I can knock it out?
    Mine is. I have a piece of stainless wire the same diameter (or very slightly smaller) to push it through with.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Mine is. I have a piece of stainless wire the same diameter (or very slightly smaller) to push it through with.

Pete
    +1

Like the OPs mine under reads, ST60. However, I have cleaned mine quite a few times, +10 years old, cleaned the housing and checked for smoothness. I even lubricated the pin very slightly which might not have been a good idea. I am not sure but IIRC when I blew on the impeller it spun very, very freely. Now I think it may be slightly stiffer, more a perception than anything obvious.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post

Pete
    I used a bradawl as a punch. IIRC pin pushed out one way not both. Also lightly applied some Teflon grease on reassembly.
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Push out the stainless axle with a suitable size drift. Only little force required. Make sure you remember the orientation (cups point with opening forward on the bottom if you didn't - arrow on the housing indicates forward direction).

Calibration is either by manually adjusting the factor, or if you're certain there is no current running (e.g. boat is in locked in basin), you can calibrate it to SOG.

After calibrating, it should read more or less correctly for a while. Fouling will affect it, as can air bubbles and also if it is fitted in a bad location where it doesn't have a clear flow of water or isn't deep enough.

IIRC the axle can be inserted/removed in one direction only. The pin is peened at one end.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Which log is it?

They used to do a kit for an ST50/ST60 which was a new paddlewheel and a few other bits and bobs, and was knocked out quite easily. May well be worth it if it is not performing as it should.

As far as I recall, its easy to tap out the spindle and remove the impeller. I use a small electrical Phillips screwdriver. As you probably know, the transducer can easily be removed from the housing even when afloat as there's a flap valve which limits water ingress. I found my ST60 impeller didn't need cleaning more than once a year but in some areas it may do.
    I have found that NASA impellers don't respond to cleaning and need a replacement service kit annually. (Fortunately they are cheap)

From the Owners Guide for the Airmar Tridata transducer (which i think the ST60 uses).

Operation & Maintenance
    Anti-fouling Paint
    Surfaces exposed to salt water must be coated with anti-fouling paint. Use water-based anti-fouling paint only. Never use ketone- based paint since ketones can attack many plastics possibly damaging the transducer. Reapply paint every 6 months or at the beginning of each boating season.
    B744V/VL—Paint the following surfaces (see Figure 4).
    • Exposedareasofthehousingincludingthetransducer’sfa ce
    • Boreofthehousingup30mm(1-1/4")
    • OutsidewallofthepaddlewheelinsertbelowthelowerO-ring
    • Paddlewheelcavity
    • Paddlewheel
    • BlankingplugbelowthelowerO-ringincludingtheexposedend

Cleaning the Sensor
    Aquatic growth can accumulate rapidly on the sensor’s surface, reducing its performance within weeks. Clean the surface with mild household detergent and a Scotch-Brite® scour pad.
    B744V/VL—If fouling on the insert is severe, push out the paddlewheel shaft using a spare shaft or a 4-D finish nail with a flattened point. Then lightly wet sand the paddlewheel with fine grade wet/dry paper.'

I've no idea what a 4-D finish nail is, but the point (geddit?) is it can be pushed out with an appropriate drift, and it doesn't mention it only coming out in one direction (perhaps other models of transducers used by Raymarine are different?).

IIRC the service kit for the Airmar transducer includes a replacement spindle, and suggests using the new spindle as a drift.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast