Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Navigating without a log

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Wright View Post
    Views?
    You need to go and buy your boy a beer.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I am oddly reminded of a story told to me by the late Dick Stone QC. He had sat as a Wreck Commissioner on the loss of a Mersey sludge barge which had been sold for scrap and was being delivered by her regular crew. Not having gone much beyond the Mersey Bar in her working life, her navigational equipment was not state of the art. There was a compass, not necessarily newly swung and corrected, the propeller slip could be guessed at and she had Lord Kelvin's sounding machine, but not many remaining crystal containers for it. There were in fact three.

As she made her way down the Irish Sea a fog came in. The question was when to alter course up the English Channel. The three casts of the sounding machine were used up. After some discussion it was felt that she had gone far enough and course was altered to the Eastward. A few hours later, still in fog, she went aground, and sent a Mayday call giving an EP on the south coast of Cornwall. She was searched for and not found, until the following morning when a postman cycling along the top of a cliff on the north coast saw her.

I don't have a log. I pretty much know how fast my boat is going without. (...I think most people do - when a log misreads people generally spot it, wasn't it RKJ who lost his log for a weeks and when he got it working again he found his estimates of his speed were still better than his log!)

Was the compass permanently obscured? If so that seems a bit mad. If it just had a book resting on it or something fair enough.

Perhaps I am old fashioned but I still take bearings, write down distance travelled and do sums. I check sounder readings with the chart and I plot position. From time to time, I do running fixes and distance off from landmarks ashore.

I do also have GPS and plotter and all the other widgets.

In the past, I did a trial on an RFA ship using an automated plotting table with inputs only from log and compass and tide from me. After a "Thursday War" day, our re-entry to Plymouth was about 100 yards out all on dead reckoning.

Could have been luck.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-1 View Post
    I don't have a log. I pretty much know how fast my boat is going without. (...I think most people do - when a log misreads people generally spot it, wasn't it RKJ who lost his log for a weeks and when he got it working again he found his estimates of his speed were still better than his log!)

Was the compass permanently obscured? If so that seems a bit mad. If it just had a book resting on it or something fair enough.
    It's not speed, it's distance. The compass glass was scored and virtually opaque.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

GPS "outage" ? (ghastly expression)

Er, what's that?

GPS is guaranteed never to be switched off.
    No one will jam it outside a war zone.
    What's the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bumbulum View Post

Er, what's that?

What's the issue?
    The kit onboard breaks. It does sometimes. I know this.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bumbulum View Post

Er, what's that?

What's the issue?
    Others may contradict that!

The other point is he has passed (/scraped!) his Yachtmaster theory. I don't think GPS will suffice for the practical!
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Many years ago I delivered a small tug from Portland to Faslane. The only piece of navigation equipment onboard was a compass and this swung 40 degrees when the clear view screen was switched on. Fortunately I had brought a Decca yacht navigator with me and we did the whole trip relying on that. The previous crew had no need of any equipment for their regular runs in and out of Portland.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Someone will be along to say that he will have had a compass and a GPS on his phone, and maybe charts too.
    Are you inferring that you don't?
    My log often gets clogged up with critters, on coastal trips I know where I am by recognition of features. Cross Channel, when I see land ahead I know I'm more than half way and on long passages I tend to average about 100 miles a day, so I know when to start looking for land.
    Having said that, yes, I have Nav and charts on my phone, tablet, notepad pc and a recent addition, a 'smart' TV! Plus two Chart Plotters.
    I think I now have as many nav devices as anchors!
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast