Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Navigating without a log

About 4 years ago met up with a Swiss couple near Puerto Montt.... they were planning on removing their compass... issues with their cockpit table as I recall... said they had never used it since leaving Europe.

Met them again last year in NZ... don't know if they had removed it or not...

I would suggest that anyone who has ever tried to hand steer a yacht on a heavily overcast night with no moon will know that you need an ** illuminated** compass card to steer by. Yes you can steer to the wind but that only works for so long.

Trying to use GPS COG or any sort of electronic compass display just does not work.... do not ask how I know this.....

Under what certifications was he driving this tug boat? How big was it? Length? Tonnage?
    Semper aliud

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Holden View Post
    About 4 years ago met up with a Swiss couple near Puerto Montt.... they were planning on removing their compass... issues with their cockpit table as I recall... said they had never used it since leaving Europe.

Met them again last year in NZ... don't know if they had removed it or not...

I would suggest that anyone who has ever tried to hand steer a yacht on a heavily overcast night with no moon will know that you need an ** illuminated** compass card to steer by. Yes you can steer to the wind but that only works for so long.

Trying to use GPS COG or any sort of electronic compass display just does not work.... do not ask how I know this.....
    er... yes. See the thread on the loss of the yawl "IOLAIRE"

(There was another and much worse disaster involving a yacht named IOLAIRE in 1918, which will come up on Google. Gaelic for (golden) eagle.)
    Last edited by Kukri; 20-08-19 at 12:32.

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    Under what certifications was he driving this tug boat? How big was it? Length? Tonnage?
    It was a harbour tug. He had an appropriate ticket, but, while you're here, can you pass Yachtmaster Offshore practical using only electronic nav aids?
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Wright View Post
    It was a harbour tug. He had an appropriate ticket, but, while you're here, can you pass Yachtmaster Offshore practical using only electronic nav aids?
    Harbour tugs still have to pass their survey for commercial use. That certainly includes having a working compass. I can’t remember if a log is a requirement.

Regarding YM using only electronic aids. No you can’t. You are expected to use it appropriately but you’re also expected to be able to manage without.

(From my phone approaching Cap de La Hague!)
    Semper aliud

Boat - Clyde, Home - Overlooking the Tamar

Radar as a fall back? Probably have adequate returns on the screen to navigate from Clyde to NI (Helpful if there was a paper chart too!)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Holden View Post
    Correct, but you were using the wrong display. A compass doesn't display COG, it displays the boats head, so you should have been displaying Heading on the electronic compass. Many compass apps alow you to select an analog compass display rather than a digital one.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    The kit onboard breaks. It does sometimes. I know this.
    We have two fixed, independent gps on board - chart table and cockpit plotters. Plus my two phones, plus the boat's tablet plus my gps watch.

That's before you get to my wife's/ other crew's phone & gps watch etc...

There is plenty of redundancy on board - we've not fitted the paddle wheel format least two seasons now and are still alive and managing just fine..

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    We have two fixed, independent gps on board - chart table and cockpit plotters. Plus my two phones, plus the boat's tablet plus my gps watch.

That's before you get to my wife's/ other crew's phone & gps watch etc...

There is plenty of redundancy on board - we've not fitted the paddle wheel format least two seasons now and are still alive and managing just fine..
    No problem with that. However lots of people dont have all that on board in the event of a primary system failure. Recent progress has made that happen. Hurrah and opens up a big world to those who otherwise might never have set off.

But without lots of backups when kit breaks on a lot of boats, you may have a problem.

Personally had a fair few experiences of Sods Law!

It's not speed, it's distance.
    Well you know time so I'm not sure there's much of a distinction in the real world. If you have one you have the other.

The compass glass was scored and virtually opaque.
    So it wasn't opaque.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast