Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: Navigating without a log

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-1 View Post
    So you have to use a mechanical log or a long bit of string with knots in it? In which case how to we know this Tug boat didn't have a suitable bit of string to measure his speed (and therefore distance covered for Graham).
    On a power driven vessel you calculate propeller revolutions and slip. Job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-1 View Post
    Great, which is what this Tugboat does without an electronic log.
    Apologies, didnt know you had been on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    On a power driven vessel you calculate propeller revolutions and slip. Job done.
    Anecdote. On the tug I skippered now and then, I had a telegraph and no idea of the revs. Didnt matter though, it was always visual pilotage on the Clyde.

We had a pet duck too.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Wright View Post
    Son took a tug across from the Clyde to Northern Ireland. His nav was completely dependent on GPS.

When chastised, he told me no tugboats have logs. He had a compass but couldn't read it as the dome was obscured.

He became stroppy when asked what would happen with a GPS outage.
    Views?
    He could have used the radar, assuming they had charts and a radar.
    If it was a commercial vessel, it must have had charts, and the obscured compass is a bit surprising.
    Almost all tugs have radar, except museum exhibits.
    Although I haven't seen a tug with a mechanical speed/distance log, maybe some have them.
    Are we allowed to know the tug details?
    Last edited by Ohlin Karcher; 20-08-19 at 16:11.

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    Doesnt matter what other tugs do - he has a legal duty to keep a log
    I think you may have rather missed the point of the thread

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    I think you may xhave rather missed the point of the thread

Pete
    More a plank than a log
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

I must admit that I lived for about 10 years without a functioning log.... it was the first of my circa '85 Stowe instruments to die..... I ended up with just my depth sounder and it was only when it became temperamental that I bought a new set of instruments about 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post

As she made her way ....... a fog came in. The question was when to alter course ........ The three casts of the sounding machine were used up. .....A few hours later, still in fog, she went aground, and sent a Mayday call giving an EP on the south coast of Cornwall. She was searched for and ...... found,
    Not all that different from another thread which ran for some weeks on here, and that individual was only about 100 yards or so out, trying to enter Plymouth.....

....There was a 'GPS failure' reported then as the cause.

And quite some years earlier, the famous tea clipper Herzogin Cecilie ran onto the South Devon coast and later capsized and sank in Starehole Bay, at the entrance to Salcombe. Again, fog ( probably 70 Proof ) was involved.... but they couldn't claim failure of the GPS.

I have been happily navigating around Wellington and the North Island of New Zealand for yonks without a log. The instrument is there, but it was such a faff putting the paddlewheel in and out (if you leave it in, round here the barnacles think it is part of the food chain). And if you take it out every time you are forever mopping up seawater from the toilet area (which is where the tube is located). But as someone observed above, it is mostly eyeball nav round here and at my age I try and avoid bad weather and restricted viz anyway. SOG is the important datum, really and I get that off the GPS. But I do have paper charts and do "proper" nav if we go across the Cook Strait, the only bit of serious sailing I do these days. I was recently crewing on a longish delivery trip, and before we set off, we determined that between the boat's equipment and our personal electronic devices, the three people on board had ELEVEN GPS's and five VHF radios! Not to mention the communications facility offered by the phones we had with us...

I sailed the East Coast for 15 years. The boat was on a drying mooring, so the log packed up within days. I probably used the compass half a dozen times, mainly to remind me how it worked. Most navigation was either by eyeball, GPS or echo sounder.

I could do this because of the cruising grounds I sailed in. Horses for courses.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast