Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Default Re: Navigating without a log

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    The kit onboard breaks. It does sometimes. I know this.
    As my log did and I've not bothered to replace it. I've nevered sailed a boat with a log more than 90% accurate over a range of conditions. If my GPS breaks I'll use one of the other 5 GPS /Navionics enabled devices always on board, the combined cost of which were less than a replacement log. If GPS is turned off me struggling to navigate will be far down the list of the world's problems.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 24-08-19 at 19:13.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    As my log did and I've not bothered to replace it. I've nevered sailed a boat with a log more than 90% accurate over a range of conditions. If my GPS breaks I'll use one of the other 5 GPS /Navionics enabled devices always on board, the combined cost of which were less than a replacement log. If GPS is turned off me struggling to navigate will be far down the list of the world's problems.
    I like to have a speed log for sail trim purposes etc.
    Navigation-wise, boat going OK is 5.5 or 6 knots, going well is 6 or 7 depending on point of sail. So uncertainty in how far you've gone is easy to understand. So I might not know exactly which suburb of Bournemouth is abeam, but TBH, I've been much more lost inside the M25.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Yeah, kinda standard answer, no disrespect. Trouble is, lots of people dont always sail or even own their own boat. So you dont always have that back up.

Ive sailed 4 different yachts in the past two weeks. Two of them had faulty GPS units. The one Ive been out on all day today had two that didnt work.

Noone had a tablet or whatever. 5 phones, no navigation apps between them.

Bit of a non issue in my pilotage waters. No problem.

Log worked though........

'He who knows, and knows he knows - he is a wise man. Seek him.
    He who knows, and knows not he knows - he is asleep. Wake him.
    He who knows not, and knows he knows not - he is a child. Teach him.
    He who knows not, and knows not he knows not - he is a fool. Shun him.'

Ive sailed 4 different yachts in the past two weeks. Two of them had faulty GPS units. The one Ive been out on all day today had two that didnt work.

Noone had a tablet or whatever. 5 phones, no navigation apps between them.

Bit of a non issue in my pilotage waters. No problem.
    In pilotage waters could none of the 5 phones get enough data to download an app?

I've not used a phone that doesn't have Google maps in years. It needs data to show the map (it will cache it). But if you drop a pin (long press) it shows the location. Click the pin again to get the location as a fully decimal long lat. Not ideal. But as far as I know works with no cached map.

Yeah, kinda standard answer, no disrespect. Trouble is, lots of people dont always sail or even own their own boat. So you dont always have that back up.
    Install app on phone before you go. You have at least your phone as backup. (I'd install one that has a GPS style screen (Saildroid for instance) and a charting app.)

If you are piloting by eye, your backup is fine. If you are likely to nav by device, ask one of the crew to install one as a backup... Not expect they pay for one, just the basics of position is enough if you have a paper chart...

Doesn't solve the OP what happens if gps system failed which seems unlikely...

Assuming the journey was in daylight, good weather and no prospect of fog, probably low risk!

I can't imagine a tug speed changes that much if they don't change engine speed (yes tide/wind will be a factor). So a rope, a means to time 28 seconds a means to measure 48 feet (ignore the 3 inches!) and some form of drogue (bucket?) Would probably be reasonable...

If you reduce the time, reduce the distance in the knots proportionally... So measure 7 seconds, make the knots every 12 feet... A boat doing 10knots then only needs 120ft rope...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-1 View Post
    Some of the participants in this thread should google Marvin Creamer and have their minds totally blown.
    Is it safe to google from work?

With a name like Creamer he could be a co-author of a book I was given years ago that was also authored by a chap called 'Erik Shun'. Fascinating pictures...

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Is one of them a plank as per #46?
    Don't bring Planck into it. Next thing you know someone will be pointing out that the more accurate your log the less good your position fix

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    Don't bring Planck into it. Next thing you know someone will be pointing out that the more accurate your log the less good your position fix
    I knew there was a reason for not having a log on a small boat

Actually, I've got one, but it wasn't working so I pulled it out to clean it and put it back. A few days later, the locker was full of water. I had a fiddle and it still leaked, so it's lying in the bottom of the locker and the screw lid. which doesn't leak, is on the fitting. I'll probably get round to fitting a new O ring some time.
    Last edited by Stemar; 26-08-19 at 15:01.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    I'll probably get round to fitting a new O ring some time.
    Try giving the old one a coat of silicon grease or vaseline first.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Hiya! I was taught as an apprentice to never re use o rings but also when fitting, to use a lubricant.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast