Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Default Re: Navigating without a log

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    I’m old enough to have been sailing in the 70’s let alone the 80’s. Do you remember RDF and trying to decipher the morse ID and the null as you swung the receiver round with the hand bearing compass on the top?

And I’d get worried for hours after a passage across a bit of the chart that said ‘magnetic anomalies’ until I’d worked up a decent fix off Sun run Sun or known and recognised objects. All too often closing a coast to spot a church spire and then wonder which one it was on the chart.
    I remember RDF, it was a pain to get an accurate position and no use offshore. We also used to have Decca and Loran which where no better. Over 50 miles away from the coast and it was celestial sights or nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch01527 View Post
    If you think about it, in the 1980’s before GPS, celestial sights were the only way of identifying position offshore, just the same as it was 200 years earlier.
    Apart from Decca, Loran, transit satnav, Lanbys, Racons, RDF, gyrocompasses, depth sounders with more than 20 fathoms of string and one or two other 20th century innovations?

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Apart from Decca, Loran, transit satnav, Lanbys, Racons, RDF, gyrocompasses, depth sounders with more than 20 fathoms of string and one or two other 20th century innovations?
    And DR of course which got us across the Channel and Western Aproaches many times (often in mist)

You didn't have to go offshore to get lost. Just crossing the Thames Estuary meant that you had to go close to every buoy just to read the name or number. My one triumph was in making a passage from Boulogne to Dieppe in the fog, some 55 miles, with a nervous fellow club member following. I was relieved when the offing buoy appeared dead ahead and was pretty successful in pretending that this was the result of skill.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Decca has only been about a few years and is no good more than a hundred miles or so offshore.
    Loran ditto and has limited coverage.
    Transit Satnav only became available in the 70's.
    RDF only works within range of short transmitters and therefore close to shore.
    Gyrocompass - so what?
    Depth sounders - again so what (even if they read what to several thousand meters depth it doesn't tell you where you are..)

The discussion had moved on to navigating out of sight of land across oceans. None of the above are very much help with ocean nav so I don't know what point you are making.
    Last edited by john_morris_uk; 28-08-19 at 12:38.
    Semper aliud

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    Decca has only been about a few years and is no good more than a hundred miles or so offshore.
    Loran ditto and has limited coverage.
    Transit Satnav only became available in the 70's.
    RDF only works within range of short transmitters and therefore close to shore.
    Gyrocompass - so what?
    Depth sounders - again so what (even if they read what to several thousand meters depth it doesn't tell you where you are..)

The discussion had moved on to navigating out of sight of land across oceans. None of the above are very much help with ocean nav so I don't know what point you are making.
    The point is, a lot changed in the pre-GPS era.
    Decca, Loran, RDF go back to the war, even if not everyone had them.
    Transit goes back to the 60s? But was only for the big boys?

For sure many of these aids only worked relatively close to landfall, but presumably made a big difference between a DR landfall being good enough and not?
    Plus AIUI, gyros and autopilot made a big difference to the accuracy of DR, compared to manual steering?

In 6 years in the British Merchant Navy (1970’s and 80’s) and c.100,000 miles of meandering around the world we never used anything other than celestial navigation and DR when not close to land.

I would like my log to work so I can see how my trim is working or how my water speed compares with gps speed in tidal areas as I try and cheat the current in the bays. Sadly my hull based logs all clogs both the paddle wheel and the screw. However my slow boat does about 4kt and we managed fine in fog from Milford to Cardiff and also Camaret to Plymouth without a log. Navigator did stress about unreliable gps plotter and we marked it all on paper at regular intervals but I pointed out that there was little to hit if we stayed on course and we would see things well before we hit them and would know fairly well when that might be, so primitive dead reckoning would cover any electronics failure. Mind you I wouldn't do it without a compass ever.
    A boat is for going places

I did Brest to A Coruña and while leaving the rade the log packed in, it returned on day two.

How many would turn back in the face of a good forecast with normal GPS gear for the sake of the log?

Quote Originally Posted by JBJag27 View Post
    I did Brest to A Coruña and while leaving the rade the log packed in, it returned on day two.

How many would turn back in the face of a good forecast with normal GPS gear for the sake of the log?
    If I was a day or more out I wouldn’t turn back if I had no GPS or Log.

But I always carry a sextant and a walker log and even if I lost the spinner and the spare you can always make a chip log or estimate your speed and distance run.

I’d get anxious without an echo sounder though. (Even though we carry a lead line)
    Semper aliud

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast