Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rope types

Default Rope types

It’s time that I replaced our main sheet. The current one a big strong 14mm x 20m but it’s embarrassingly old.
    Looking at the many types of rope available is confusing to a bear of very little brain, so what’s the right stuff to use on a Sadler 32? Pulleys are 5:1

TIA
    Pardon?

Default Re: Rope types

Maybe go down to 12mm, plenty strong enough but less friction over the sheaves? Also easier in very light winds as well.
    For the type, I just use prestretched dacron, braid on braid, a known make like Liros, Marlow.
    Maybe handle some different lines in a chandlers or another boat?
    All the big rope companies have good websites with guides to line choice.

10 m m braid on braid on my main which is as big as yours and i only have 4:1 purchase ( plus track)Manufacturers websites are a good guide. go to a chandler and find one that feels ok on the hands. Do not pick a cheepo with an outer covering that is overly loose though and stick with a major make like liros, marlow, english braid. Some cheepo brands will have coverings that break up in the cleats. Also ask about uv on the rope. It will be exposed all season and you do not want it going hard. Some ropes resist kinking, which is handy.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

10mm matt finish 16 plait on mine. Get a few metres more if you want to go 6 to 1, as I did a few years ago.

25m will be enough.

I got Barton ball bearing blocks. Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne Murphy View Post
    It’s time that I replaced our main sheet. The current one a big strong 14mm x 20m but it’s embarrassingly old.
    If you are only changing it because it is "embarrassingly old" then think again. Does it do the job, if it does then keep it.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    If you are only changing it because it is "embarrassingly old" then think again. Does it do the job, if it does then keep it.
    It does the job now, I’m more worried about what happens if it stops doing the job in a hurry when it’s blowing a bit hard.
    Pardon?

My boat came with a matt finish mainsheet but I much prefer the shiny stuff I replaced it with, which runs much better past itself on the multiple turns, but it's a matter of taste.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Take yours off and wash it in a machine. It will show up any weak/chaffed/worn areas and maybe make it easier to use as it won't be as stiff. Then keep it as a spare.
    quicKutter rope cutter, shaft and rudder bearings
    www.h4marine.com

Try EYE marine (aka Boat Gear Direct) on the old Ipswich to Felixstowe road. They have suitable ropes at maybe 50% less than the chandleries and cheaper than Jimmy Green. Limited choice of colours though, and the first mate doesn't like the green one I chose.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Rafiki View Post
    Try EYE marine (aka Boat Gear Direct) on the old Ipswich to Felixstowe road. They have suitable ropes at maybe 50% less than the chandleries and cheaper than Jimmy Green. Limited choice of colours though, and the first mate doesn't like the green one I chose.
    Was in there this PM talking to the rigger about it. Their rope isn’t as full on as, say Marlowe but sounds as though its still going to do the job
    Pardon?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast