Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Course computer saga goes on .

After the saga of our course computer packing up ,
    We looked at way of reducing the cost of buying a new complete system costing 2.7k when you add on extra bits .

After Many calls and emails to dealers we found a refurbished ACU 400 from Raymarine priced at £650 , great buy, add to that a sensor core and sea talk to sea talkNG , cutting our cost to around £1200k or so we thought .
    Reading Raymarine Manuel it say our ST 6000 control can be used with the ACU 400 but there some option we couldn't use ,
    This turn out to be the setting options so in reality you can't use the ST6000 unless you had the new P70s control to set up the computer first , now we have to add on another £520 . The cost now gone up to over £1700 .
    As we was about to order the new unit on line we found the ACU didn't include VAT , bit naughty of Raymarine not to say if there price was ex Vat of not .
    The cost goes up again touching £1850 .
    Our next surprise was that both the refurbished ACU and the new P70s only come with very short cables a few CM long , which mean buying new back bone cables and connections add another £150
    Up goes the cost to well over 2k
    Then there carriage involve from two company's has Raymarine would only sell us the the ACU . And up goes the cost again .

Here where a stoke of luck comes into play , some times you have to stand back and not be too hasty in parting with your money .
    in the mean time we put out feelers with other cruiser for a second hand unit at the same time a RM engineer I know very well in Malta said he has one .
    But he won't send it we need to pick it up as he want to fit it for us so there no problems .

So we had a decision to make last night . Pay well over £2100 to get our old pilot working or hand steer 500 NM to Malta and get a second hand good working unit for £300 a saving of £1800
    I leave it to you guys to guess what route we taking .

people who thinking of buying a project boat think very carefully ,
    Nothing come cheap when it comes to boats .

Just one last thing , it's a bit tight of any company when sell unit s cost hundreds of pound to only add a few CM of cable , or am I expecting too much ?
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Default Re: Course computer saga goes on .

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    ASo we had a decision to make last night . Pay well over £2100 to get our old pilot working or hand steer 500 NM to Malta and get a second hand good working unit for £300 a saving of £1800
    I leave it to you guys to guess what route we taking .
    Anyone offering me £3.60 a mile to hand steer my boat will have their hand bitten off up to the oxters.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Anyone offering me £3.60 a mile to hand steer my boat will have their hand bitten off up to the oxters.
    Ha ha , yes that the way we looking at it , there a couple of 40 hours sails involved , but at less it's warn at night now .

Happy to report back , we now have a S3G course comptuer replacing our old 300 and what a difference,
    May try and get the old one fixed sending it back to Raymarine over the winter, keeping it has a spare or sell it as they seen to fetch sill money .

Happy to report back , we now have a S3G course comptuer replacing our old 300 and what a difference,
    May try and get the old one fixed sending it back to Raymarine over the winter, keeping it has a spare or sell it as they seen to fetch sill money .
    We have the same course computer driving a Raymarine rotary drive. Its an excellent bit of kit and can steer reliably in any weather. We have a complete spare as well. Everything is accessible so can be changed at sea without difficulty

You have my sympathy, but I don’t think anyone believes marine electronics are cheap.
    I ended up paying for two chart plotters, a radar, an new auto pilot and core plus re wiring the network to STNG. It wasn’t cheap. All I wanted was a new chart plotter but as ever, new issues appear that you hadn’t considered.

My personal gripe is the lack of backwards compatibility between units from the same company. It seems just a cynical ploy to force a replacement of otherwise serviceable kit.

I replaced a Harken 40 winch last year with the new model from the same company. It had a different bolt pattern...why?
    IMO, it’s not just electronics companies that need to get their act together.

Quote Originally Posted by Achosenman View Post
    My personal gripe is the lack of backwards compatibility between units from the same company. It seems just a cynical ploy to force a replacement of otherwise serviceable kit.
    Personally I think Raymarine at least do pretty well at this. I have kit with "Autohelm" written on it (ST50 instruments, autopilot drive, rudder sensor) working well with current-model Raymarine plotter and pilot computer. The copyright date on the ST50 manual is 1993. How many other bits of proprietary digital electronics have 26 years of backward compatibility?

Pete

The CC is from 2001 so it not done too bad , but have to agree with Achosenman ,
    I was ready to buy a recon unit from Raymarine the latest ACU 400 but it didn't stop there , I needed a new core sensor ,
    Also I would then need to buy a sea talk , seatake ng ,plus extra back bone leads and J box .
    I read I could use my old contro ST6000+ at less I thought I would say £500 not having to buy a new one , only to find out just in time that although my control would work , I wouldn't be able to set up the new ACU without using a P70s ,
    Even with a refurbished ACU it was all going to set me back at less 2.5k ,
    Quite a sum to get the pilot working again .
    So I was more then happy to pay for a second hand S3G .
    I can see now why this stuff hold its price well as second hand parts .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 30-08-19 at 07:50.

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Personally I think Raymarine at least do pretty well at this. I have kit with "Autohelm" written on it (ST50 instruments, autopilot drive, rudder sensor) working well with current-model Raymarine plotter and pilot computer. The copyright date on the ST50 manual is 1993. How many other bits of proprietary digital electronics have 26 years of backward compatibility?

Pete
    I come from civil aviation, they manage far better in this regard.
    I do still have ST60+ instruments working, but nothing else would. (Or with a much degraded functionality)
    I am however a Raymarine fan. IMO the STNG network connections are far better than NMEA 2000. I ripped out that part of the system due to continuous intermittent connection issues when I upgraded. Raymarine seems to simply work, all day, every day.

It seems to me that boat owners are seen as wealthy clients and are treated as such by those servicing the industry.

Quite a sum to get the pilot working again .
    You mean to replace it with a new one.

Pete

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast