Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Course computer saga goes on .

Thank goodness for my hydrovane.

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    +1 we very rearly use the wind steer , and I can't think of a time when I used track .
    but I have to say , it's great having it working again , when you doing 30/40 hours trip .
    You should try 'wind steer' . Get it on a good course, press Auto, so that the autopilot takes over, then press Auto and Standby together. I tried it for the first time last weekend and couldn't believe how well the boat was sailing in a fairly light wind - much faster than it would have been if I'd been helming.
    Andrew

We use that function the most. Sailing to wind angle. Works really well.

After the saga of our course computer packing up ,
    We looked at way of reducing the cost of buying a new complete system costing 2.7k when you add on extra bits .

After Many calls and emails to dealers we found a refurbished ACU 400 from Raymarine priced at £650 , great buy, add to that a sensor core and sea talk to sea talkNG , cutting our cost to around £1200k or so we thought .
    Reading Raymarine Manuel it say our ST 6000 control can be used with the ACU 400 but there some option we couldn't use ,
    This turn out to be the setting options so in reality you can't use the ST6000 unless you had the new P70s control to set up the computer first , now we have to add on another £520 . The cost now gone up to over £1700 .
    As we was about to order the new unit on line we found the ACU didn't include VAT , bit naughty of Raymarine not to say if there price was ex Vat of not .
    The cost goes up again touching £1850 .
    Our next surprise was that both the refurbished ACU and the new P70s only come with very short cables a few CM long , which mean buying new back bone cables and connections add another £150
    Up goes the cost to well over 2k
    Then there carriage involve from two company's has Raymarine would only sell us the the ACU . And up goes the cost again .

Here where a stoke of luck comes into play , some times you have to stand back and not be too hasty in parting with your money .
    in the mean time we put out feelers with other cruiser for a second hand unit at the same time a RM engineer I know very well in Malta said he has one .
    But he won't send it we need to pick it up as he want to fit it for us so there no problems .

So we had a decision to make last night . Pay well over £2100 to get our old pilot working or hand steer 500 NM to Malta and get a second hand good working unit for £300 a saving of £1800
    I leave it to you guys to guess what route we taking .

people who thinking of buying a project boat think very carefully ,
    Nothing come cheap when it comes to boats .

Just one last thing , it's a bit tight of any company when sell unit s cost hundreds of pound to only add a few CM of cable , or am I expecting too much ?
    Mate of mine had a B and G pilot pack up in the Azores, engine said fit new Raymarine kit so he did except for the hydraulic motor and ram. 4k later it still didnt work! Turned out it was the brushes in the pump. They found some that were near enough and filed them to fit. still working 4 years later BUT nothing wrong with the B and G kit! Go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
    Mate of mine had a B and G pilot pack up in the Azores, engine said fit new Raymarine kit so he did except for the hydraulic motor and ram. 4k later it still didnt work! Turned out it was the brushes in the pump. They found some that were near enough and filed them to fit. still working 4 years later BUT nothing wrong with the B and G kit! Go figure!
    Wow - that was bad advice. And so easy to check the voltages at the ram to see if the course computer was doing its job. We had to replace a Raymarine Linear ram after 20 years but I checked very carefully first that that was the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Indeed. I went through one season where I used to set up a waypoint 30 or 40 miles away and have it steer to the waypoint but then the novelty wore off and I went back to just pressing the button once I was on course. It's not as if you can set it and go off for a snooze or something.

Richard
    I tried the "follow route" once when our boat was new and was curious to see if various features might be useful. I set up a route whilst motoring and then told the auto-pilot to follow that route. Bad idea. I had assumed that it would gently blend in to the new course. We were probably about 10m away from the route marked on the plotter and did a 90 degree turn for 10m and then close to 90 degrees back in order to follow the route. Nearly thrown out of the cockpit but I suppose I should have expected a rapid attempt to join the course.

It did work but doesn't actually follow the route automatically as it requires confirmation to turn when approaching the next waypoint. Sensible enough I suppose from a safety standpoint. I seem to remember very severe course alterations at the next waypoint because I was a bit late confirming the change and we overshot by 20m or so. I didn't even persevere with it for a season and never used it again. Just steering to a waypoint is probably better than following an entire route but I do the same as RichardS and just lock on to a course.

Please to report our new second hand S3G works great .
    the other day we sailed in screwing seas for 39 hours , the pilot handed it very well .
    On our old 300 course computer we would had to hand steer some of the way .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Please to report our new second hand S3G works great .
    the other day we sailed in screwing seas for 39 hours , the pilot handed it very well .
    On our old 300 course computer we would had to hand steer some of the way .
    That's because the S3G has a gyroscope built in. On the Type 300 it is an optional upgrade (in an external box). Makes quite the difference, because it can sense the boat movements and do so much faster than the fluxgate compass alone can report it. Makes for much better steering in big seas where the boat yaws a lot.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123