Default Shipping your boat to the Med; sailing along as passenger?

Hello all,

I was wondering.
    If you ship your yacht with the likes of Sevenstar to a new area, can you join the ship as passenger?
    Does anyone have any experience with this? I can't find anything on their website.

Thanks.

Default Re: Shipping your boat to the Med; sailing along as passenger?

Can't be much help here, but I think the best answer will always be, pick up the phone and give them a shout. I'm sure they'll be happy to entertain any questions. There might be insurance issues but you're only going to find out an accurate answer by going to the source.

AFAIK the only one set up for passengers is the float on float off vessel

Sevenstar do not do that and I'm not sure its worth it unless the boat is unseaworthy - I had to bring a damaged boat back from the Caribbean to the UK last year and it was the most stressful thing I have ever done. A day before we were told the ship would arrive they diverted to Mexico (for what turned out to be a month) to pick up more cargo and then had no idea when it would leave Mexico and come back to the USVI. This meant huge changes in plan, employing a captain to load the boat for me , then a second one because there were weeks of waiting for the ship and the first guy had to go earn a living elsewhere. Fortunately local contacts found me a buoy to put the boat on for that time (at great cost) because the only marina was $250 a night! All in all it was expensive, a month late, with very poor information and whilst they did give me a discount to cover some of the extra costs the stress was simply not worth it and I would never choose this way to move a boat again.

Peters and May a lot more transparent than Sevenstar, who tried to charge me for not arriving. Although there again the nice P+M chaps in London were all in favour of all customers getting ripped €500 per boat to check out of Turkey when the right price is €50 But to answer your query, unless it specifically says so, then no you can't sail along with your boat.