Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

Default 75th anniversary of the sinking of the Richard Montgomery off Sheerness

Today is the 75th anniversary of the sinking of the Richard Montgomery off Sheerness with its cargo of explosives.
    https://www.kentonline.co.uk/sheerne...s-away-210745/
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

Default Re: 75th anniversary of the sinking of the Richard Montgomery off Sheerness

Some fireworks in celebration then?
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Default Re: 75th anniversary of the sinking of the Richard Montgomery off Sheerness

Bradders is going that way shortly. Perhaps we could persuade him to sail over it and drop the odd wreath or something?
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Richard Montgomery ( the man ) seems to have lived a very full life despite only making it to 37 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richar...ng_in_New_York
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

So a problem in his life and still a problem today?
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    So a problem in his life and still a problem today?
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Thanks for the link to the Wikipedia article.

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

A further interesting article has been published on the wreck of the Montgomery and its risks.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/sheerne...gomery-210989/
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

Kentonline is usually cr*p reporting although a part of that article seems well worded, perhaps original stuff from the quoted professor.
    I don't buy his 'tsunami of fire' idea, any oil in the wreck would have been removed a long long time ago I'm sure.
    But having done 15 years as a CG and witnessed many of Bomb Disposal's activities in East Kent I certainly agree with him about the explosive probably still being viable. Mind you I was never certain quite how much of some of the bigger bangs I saw and heard was actually the guys adding extra Semtex 'just to make sure' !
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

I would think in terms of building a containment dam around it so that if/when it does go up everything would simply blast upwards. Quite simples to do and would have the added advangage of preventing someone setting it off on purpose as an act of terrorism.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast