Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 75th anniversary of the sinking of the Richard Montgomery off Sheerness

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    I would think in terms of building a containment dam around it so that if/when it does go up everything would simply blast upwards. Quite simples to do and would have the added advangage of preventing someone setting it off on purpose as an act of terrorism.
    I have long thought that too. Alternatively, replace all the windows within range with polycarbonate.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Default Re: 75th anniversary of the sinking of the Richard Montgomery off Sheerness

I would think in terms of building a containment dam around it so that if/when it does go up everything would simply blast upwards. Quite simples to do and would have the added advangage of preventing someone setting it off on purpose as an act of terrorism.
    Good idea! I wonder if any civil engineering people have been asked to propose plans?
    Maybe it could be temporary , because once it is in place, the wreck could be dismantled and explosives removed by robot?
    Although the actual building of a dam around the wreck might be considered more risky than leaving it there..

Is the Monty actually interfering with shipping and trade in the area, is it holding back development, because the LNG carriers and London Gateway seem to be working ok?

Didn't 617 squadron knock down some rather large dams with relatively small bombs in the water close by?!
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cantata View Post
    Didn't 617 squadron knock down some rather large dams with relatively small bombs in the water close by?!
    They certainly did, but research had shown that the explosives had to be in direct contact with the face of the dam to be effective. Hence the backspin which ensured that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12