Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Lets assume that some numbskull has put 50 litres of diesel in their water tank

The aformentioned twat has drained the tank and " rescued" 30 litres or so of his precious Red.
    Emptied and flushed tank twice, but still that "Eau du diesel" whiff around.
    All that remained then was to kick the water tank filler cap over the side.

Advice for the idiot most welcome...mainly how to help the pong-go !

Default Re: Lets assume that some numbskull has put 50 litres of diesel in their water tank

The pong will eventually evaporate, but only if you keep changing the air. Apart from slinging the tank, flushing with some detergent a couple of times, then rinsing a few more..
    I assume this 'twat' is a 'friend' on your pontoon? Shurley not anybody you would trust to go out sailing with?

Default Re: Lets assume that some numbskull has put 50 litres of diesel in their water tank

Have you tried baking soda? It'll take quite a bit I suspect but worth a shot... liquid dettol (original) is a pretty good deodouriser... whether it works on diesel I don't know (it's also easier to get rid of a dettol taste than a diesel taste).

If you're gonna use detergent (worth a shot), make sure to use warm/hot water and the bio not the non-bio powder.

However if the diesel has impregnated the plastic, then it might actually be worth replacing the tank. How much is a new water tank?

(I've had similar issues while in caravan and accidentally hooking up the water tank to the sewage... -___-, I was young).

If you can do it without taking a chainsaw to the boat, a new tank is your best option.

What is your tank and filler pipe made of? What does it serve?

Also, where is the whiff coming from...the tap?? The filler tube??

If there is room for another water tank elsewhere turn this one into an extra fuel tank and fit a nw water tank rather than scrap this one.
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 20-08-19 at 18:11.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Some time ago I wanted to swap a 25l jerry can from diesel use to fresh water. I flushed it several times with hot water and detergent. The pong (and taste) did not go. The pong was permanently in the plastic and instantly communicated itself to the fresh water I put in the jerry can. I think you will need a more 'high tech' cleaning system.

Keel hauling would be too easy. I think that hanging from the yard arm is going to be necessary in order to discourage repetition. I would wash the tank with gin. If the alcohol doesn't mix with and remove the diesel, it will help mask the taste.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

If you have the access to get solids (powder) in and out a fullers earth (probably most easily available commercially as cat litter) will absorb a lot of contamination (it's used in CBRN decontamination). I'd also be looking at the various suggestions there are for getting rid of new paint smell.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast