Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Lets assume that some numbskull has put 50 litres of diesel in their water tank

You could try flushing the tank with a can of engine degreaser.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Default Re: Lets assume that some numbskull has put 50 litres of diesel in their water tank

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    Its a stainless tank.Think it just a case of constant flushing.
    Just wondered if there was a proprietory diesel solvent on the market ?
    Err, petrol?

Quote Originally Posted by penberth3 View Post
    Err, petrol?
    Or engine degreaser.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

The aformentioned twat has drained the tank and " rescued" 30 litres or so of his precious Red.
    Emptied and flushed tank twice, but still that "Eau du diesel" whiff around.
    All that remained then was to kick the water tank filler cap over the side.

Advice for the idiot most welcome...mainly how to help the pong-go !
    Cats piss stink remover from pet shops is enzyme based and eliminates diesel smell from bilges without masking them. Holding tank smells too. Anything organic.

This may help you once you’ve done your degreasing. Bio washing powder may help for the same reason - eat rather than mask the problem.

Also pm z1ppy. He had it happen on his hunton a while back.

Cheers everybody.
    Some sage nodding of heads on my pontoon.
    The problem is not unknown apparently , experience has proved a bottle of Fairy Liquid can prove efficacious.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Cheers everybody.
    The problem is not unknown apparently , experience has proved a bottle of Fairy Liquid can prove efficacious.
    Toilet Duck is very effective at removing the smell of spilled diesel in the boat (a tip picked up from Sunsail many years ago) but I have no idea how it would fare at removing taste.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Having some experience with this and adding it to what already has been said here: a good filter would be the fastest and most efficient solution to your problem. Somebody suggested it before, sorry for duplicating...

What about Bilgex? I had a diesel spill last year and it was pretty horrendous, but bilgex was very very good at getting rid of the smell.

The Eberspacher fuel pipe coming out the top of the tank leaked badly and deposited gallons or red in the cockpit locker which then ran through to the saloon bilge. It relies on agitation and then forms an emulsified white liquid...so perhaps fill with hot water, chuck the bilgex in and go for a windy sail?
    Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
    49er GBR340 "20KSB"/Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"

Cheers everybody.
    BTW, are all your fill points clearly labelled?

Diesel stink will last for years. It won't be washed away unless you swill the tank with acetone or trike similar several times. (please don't even think about it!)
    There really is only one option, a new tank and entire water system if you've drawn any water at all into it after the contamination.

I used bleach in my tank once and even after six or seven refills and pumpouts the water is still tainted. And that's water soluble and far less noxious or or persistent than some of the products some people are suggesting you use as cleaners!

Even if it is a chainsaw job to remove an integral tank (like mine, moulded into the keel) I'd 'just' cut the top off it and fit a tailormade techtank inside. It will be far easier than wasting weeks failing to clean the old one.
    Last edited by Old Bumbulum; 21-08-19 at 10:07.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast