Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dolphins

Default Re: Dolphins

Quote Originally Posted by Ali-alshira View Post
    We have also seen porpoises in the Blackwater and Colne quite often, but only once in the Crouch. We saw dolphins when crossing the North Sea just once (out of 30-odd crossings) somewhere off Lowestoft. Of course, on our still-current Scottish trip this year, we saw dolphins quite frequently. You often hear the porpoise breathing before you see it and then it appears just once or twice. We have, or had, a lot of photos showing a bit of sea were a porpoise was an instant ago - well done anyone who managed to snatch a photo!
    I have a number of photos of dolphins, and rather more of their vacant slots. I have only one that includes its beak. Taking a frame from a video would be cheating of course, but my current camera might help, since it can take a series of pictures from up to a second before the shutter is pressed.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

In the Oosterschelde area in the Netherlands there's a healthy and growing population of around 50 porpoises with several calves. We have heard/seen them many times but only very briefly. Mostly just one breath, a dorsal fin once or twice and then they're gone.

The individual porpoises have even been catalogued by their dorsal fins and other markings:

https://rugvin.nl/wp-content/uploads...-2015-2018.pdf

Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England

DSC_0496.jpgDSC_0483.jpg
    I managed to get these shots in Sheerness harbour early last year. There was quite a lot of zoom and cropping, so not great pictures. The one I mentioned at Colne Bar last week I just got a snap of an empty patch of water

Quote Originally Posted by FulmarJeddo View Post
    DSC_0496.jpgDSC_0483.jpg
    I managed to get these shots in Sheerness harbour early last year. There was quite a lot of zoom and cropping, so not great pictures. The one I mentioned at Colne Bar last week I just got a snap of an empty patch of water
    So, those photos finally prove the Loch (Sheer)Ness Monster does exist!
    Last edited by LittleSister; 24-08-19 at 10:33. Reason: Corrected - lock to loch

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    So, those photos finally prove the Lock (Sheer)Ness Monster does exist!
    Porpoises in a canal ? Lock ?

Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    Porpoises in a canal ? Lock ?
    Damned autocorrect!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    Damned autocorrect!
    Don’t we all love it

Was out near Bench Head yesterday afternoon. Saw a pair of porpoises several times.

We only had around 5 meters of water below us. I didn’t know porpoises come this far north and in such shallow water. It was great to see.

Porpoises were a common sight 50-60 years ago along the estuary shore of Kent where I was brought up. They usually travelled in pairs, a couple of fins and a glimpse of back breaking the surface every 50 yards or so in a kind of rolling motion as they passed by on passage. Spotting them became a rare event, so it's great if they are gaining in numbers again.
    But I'm positive I saw a dolphin a couple of years ago, off Whitstable. We were heading along the coast about a mile off, downwind in a lumpy sea, when I happen to glance behind and saw a fin very quickly catching us up. As it passed, I could very clearly see it was a dolphin, very close to the surface and going like the clappers. I'd swear it leered at me as it went by.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Saw one a week ago just inside St Peter Port harbour mouth.
    The most fantastic sighting I had was about 4 years ago, drawing north of Les Sept Iles, there was one hell of a commotion in the water two hundred yards away. Impossible to count the dolphins but counting about 10 of them and scaling up there must have been at least 100 of them, and that was just the ones on the surface. Obviously feeding on fish, and the air above was filled with sea birds from the Sept Iles.
    On the internet no one knows you are a donkey.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast