Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yarmouth buoys

Default Re: Yarmouth buoys

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    You could always anchor!
    Is there a particular spot you have in mind? Seems to me that to be clear of the moorings you'd either have to go the other side of Black Rock (being careful not to go over it!) or far enough out that you're almost in the main channel. I've heard the other side of the pier suggested, but there's private or club moorings there too.

Also worth noting that the Harbourmaster claims the right to charge anchoring dues in a remarkably large area off the entrance, though I don't know what their current practice is.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Is there a particular spot you have in mind?
    I used to go between the wall and the first row of trots, but I must admit, I haven't been there for a few years as I don't particularly like Yarmouth.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Could always go on the wall? Stays afloat there...

Quote Originally Posted by ip485 View Post
    I would have thought both. There during Cowes week and we were happily accomodated. I suppose as usual the later you arrive the less the chance.
    That's good to know

Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    I think they only book a dozen or so berths in advance. We've only been turned away once, Fastnet start day and we arrived about 3pm, way too late. Noon would have been fine. The present Mrs Scala didn't fancy the only remaining buoy, everywhere else full so we decided to return to Swanwick.
    Yes the website says that all the finger pontoon berths are booked and the remaining 200 spaces are first come first served. 200 !

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Is there a particular spot you have in mind? Seems to me that to be clear of the moorings you'd either have to go the other side of Black Rock (being careful not to go over it!) or far enough out that you're almost in the main channel. I've heard the other side of the pier suggested, but there's private or club moorings there too.

Also worth noting that the Harbourmaster claims the right to charge anchoring dues in a remarkably large area off the entrance, though I don't know what their current practice is.

Pete
    Dropping the hook is always an option I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    We were there this weekend, I said to the Scots guy in the RIB we'd like a berth for the night, he said if I gave him the lottery numbers he would sort it. When I said see me a nine tonight he sort out a place for us, rafted to another boat. All fine with us. Some time ago I said to one of the guys that Yarmouth was the only place I knew with a Harbour full sign. He told me that was gone and they would always find a space if you turned up.
    Allan
    Good to know, cheers.

Always worth a call to either River Yar or Harold Hayles boatyards in Yarmouth when looking for a mooring.

Their finger pontoons are dire - not the pontoons themselves but the current whipping through them, it goes diagonally and ebb and flood are not opposite directions but at 90 degrees to each other. Where the bit of breakwater finishes it is particularly vicious; I'd rather raft up any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Fever View Post
    Dropping the hook is always an option I suppose.
    D- for reading comprehension.

Pete

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast