Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: Metric units post Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    The way things are now, nothing would surprise me. The lunatics have been allowed to take charge of the madhouse.
    The lunatics are completely out of control. Johnson is so terrified of Farage and his doddering tweedy stormtroopers that he will do precisely what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by robertj View Post
    Will we revert back to good old yards feet and inches after Brexit ir keep the European units?
    No. They aren't European units; they're "SI" units, or International units.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...ystem_of_Units
    SI has officially been adopted by all countries except the United States, Liberia, and Myanmar.[2] Both Myanmar and Liberia make substantial use of SI units, as do the scientific, military, and medical communities in the US.

Russia, Japan, China and for that matter Switzerland - none of which have ever been in the EU - use SI units. WTF has Dimbogit got to do with units?

Don't see the connection - other than the humorous one!
    Brexit: Taking back our freedom as a sovereign nation.

Quote Originally Posted by robertj View Post
    Will we revert back to good old yards feet and inches after Brexit ir keep the European units?
    Since feet and inches, together with pints, miles, pounds (both types) shillings and pence all have foreign origins, it would be continuing Great Britain's current dreaded situation as a 'vassal state' to revert to, or continue, such measures and their names.

A nation as great as this, confidently making its own, independent way in the world, surely deserves units and their names that are distinct and different from those used by others. We shall therefore need a whole new set of novel units unique to Great Britain.

Would the following not provide fitting names for these units?
    Johnson
    Farage
    Cummings
    Gove
    Dacre
    Murdoch
    Cameron
    May
    Banks
    etc.
    Suggestions are invited for the type and size of unit that each name might represent.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    Since feet and inches, together with pints, miles, pounds (both types) shillings and pence all have foreign origins, it would be continuing Great Britain's current dreaded situation as a 'vassal state' to revert to, or continue, such measures and their names.

A nation as great as this, confidently making its own, independent way in the world, surely deserves units and their names that are distinct and different from those used by others. We shall therefore need a whole new set of novel units unique to Great Britain.

Would the following not provide fitting names for these units?
    Johnson
    Farage
    Cummings
    Gove
    Dacre
    Murdoch
    Cameron
    May
    Banks
    etc.
    Suggestions are invited for the type and size of unit that each name might represent.
    I hesitate to be the first to respond, I am a foreigner and maybe in the true spirit of brexit this is for the Brits to decide without outside influence.
    Nevertheless, can I propose the Boris, as a measure of truthfulness, or rather the lack of it. Like all SI units it can be scaled: from a microBoris (a small lie) over a Boris (a plain lie) to a kiloBoris (a big lie) and even a megaBoris or a teraBoris.

Quote Originally Posted by westhinder View Post
    Nevertheless, can I propose the Boris, as a measure of truthfulness, or rather the lack of it. Like all SI units it can be scaled: from a microBoris (a small lie) over a Boris (a plain lie) to a kiloBoris (a big lie) and even a megaBoris or a teraBoris.
    An excellent start. A virtual 568.261ml for our continental friend.

Quote Originally Posted by westhinder View Post
    I think it's more like the Farad, a unit whose base is so large that for all normal everyday purposes you have to use the milli- and micro- scales.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    An excellent start. A virtual 568.261ml for our continental friend.
    Surely drinks should be measured in Farages?

At least with the old penny if you lobbed it at an Member of parliament, or a referee, you could do some damage and it would not cost you much
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast