Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: Metric units post Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by robertj View Post
    Is it a beneteau 30/31/36/37/38/39/40?.........
    French boats are always in metric?
    They know their customers are a conservative bunch who prefer to work in the tried and tested Roman feet and inches.

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    Not a Benetau Oceanis I would guess.
    Non, a Gib'Sea.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    Collaborator!
    Us Scots and French go back a long way

Quote Originally Posted by westhinder View Post
    You might try to trade it in for a good old British MAB. Plenty of those looking for a new owner.
    Had one of those, but moved onto a French MAB.
    Non, new boats are a bit like plastic baths, the hull moves when you press it!

The one great thing with metric boats is the depth on charts is in the same measurement. I am aware that some people still carry charts in fathoms

It is great when your favorite bar in France overfills their 500 ml glasses with beer. Never happens in my local.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Not all French boats - JPK, Pogo, RM, Feeling etc use metres.

And oddly the well known US builder J Boats started in feet (J24j but rapidly changed to metres - J80, J70 etc

I know how fast I'm going, but not where I am

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Not all French boats - JPK, Pogo, RM, Feeling etc use metres.

And oddly the well known US builder J Boats started in feet (J24j but rapidly changed to metres - J80, J70 etc
    Quorning, who make Dragonfly trimarans, started in metres (800, 920, 1000, 1200) but moved to feet (24, 28, 32, 40).

I have received a letter from my insurers setting out their revised terms that will apply post brexit.

As well as having the boat re-measured in Imperial units, they are insisting that all metric bolts are replaced by either BS or Whitworth equivalents. There are also some issues of compliance with navigation equipment: happily Navionics has the option to display depth in fathoms, temperature in degrees F and fuel in gallons.

I am greatly relieved that they don't, as yet, appear to be bothered about our metric halliards and control lines.

I took two American friends sailing this week, when I told them that the echo sounder read in metres they were completely nonplussed, couldn't visualise it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tribe View Post
    I took two American friends sailing this week, when I told them that the echo sounder read in metres they were completely nonplussed, couldn't visualise it.
    How did they get on with degrees, minutes and seconds/decimal? I remember on a GPS forum years ago many Americans having problems with co-ordinate conversions...

Mike.

And there is the "Bavarian foot" which of course, is larger than the Imperial foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirx View Post
    I have received a letter from my insurers setting out their revised terms that will apply post brexit.

As well as having the boat re-measured in Imperial units, they are insisting that all metric bolts are replaced by either BS or Whitworth equivalents. There are also some issues of compliance with navigation equipment: happily Navionics has the option to display depth in fathoms, temperature in degrees F and fuel in gallons.

I am greatly relieved that they don't, as yet, appear to be bothered about our metric halliards and control lines.
    JRM has now decreed that all boats must now be retrofitted with gaff rigs and canvas sails

Quote Originally Posted by ithet View Post
    And there is the "Bavarian foot" which of course, is larger than the Imperial foot.
    Ah! Thanks for that - explains why my brother's Bavaria 30 is actually 31ft LOA

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast