Page 1 of 17 12345611 ... LastLast

Default Thank St Greta for saving us

Probably another stunt inspired by oircsaviour...

https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/news...188.1565535338
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Default Re: Thank St Greta for saving us

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post

What, is the point of this investigation, when they don't seem to bother about the pollution from commercial vessels in places like Portsmouth & Southampton, the latter being one of the most polluted even well away from the docks?

I would not want to have bought a huge widebeam narrowboat with the intent of shuffling round London right now for sure. They are definitely after the urban liveaboards, burning coal at jogger head height is not going to be tolerated for too much longer and already causes gallons of green ink. Why would anyone volunteer this information unless it was to say you were powered by grass and emit only unicorn farts late at night. One of the joys of cruising (even inland) is the remarkable liberty compared to other lifestyles where you are not even allowed to wire your own plug. It won't stand for much longer in this world.

Energy use wise, I currently work from a cruising boat with a kW of solar, which makes me so green I p*ss rainbows compared to most landlubbers. There's no practical way of getting round urban emissions, unless CRT find a couple of billion to stick charging posts along the cut people are going to be legislated off it.
    Last edited by ryanroberts; 21-08-19 at 11:17.

Returned to South Coast from West Coast of Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    What, is the point of this investigation, when they don't seem to bother about the pollution from commercial vessels in places like Portsmouth & Southampton, the latter being one of the most polluted even well away from the docks?
    +1. ..The brown trail of exhaust pollution from merchant ships in the English Channel on a calm day is a disgrace.

What a nasty and vindictive posting. Are you perhaps and elderly male who cares less about our environment than many millions of other people.

It is clear that this study is about pollution from ALL vessels, including, as it should, yachts as being part of all vessels.

If you have sat in a harbour downwind of some fishing boat, or yacht, running it’s engine for long periods of time then you might realise how nasty the emissions from old Diesel engines can be - and far far worse from ships running on cheapest dirtiest fuel oil. Countries downwind of major shipping Channels are experiencing significant pollution from dirty ship emissions.
    Perhaps you have never suffered asthma. Or don’t care about those who have. Perhaps you don’t care about your children or grandchildren breathing in particulates and gases from ship, fishing boat or yacht engines.
    The few times we have had to motor downwind, it has been clear that even a recent Volvo marine diesel is much less clean than a modern car diesel.

Perhaps there may not be sufficient volume of yachts to make this a priority for action. But a study of all vessel pollution is surely a good thing to do. It has nothing to do with the Swedish lady, but I hold her in much higher esteem for her actions than people who make nasty snide comments.

Quote Originally Posted by mainsail1 View Post
    +1. ..The brown trail of exhaust pollution from merchant ships in the English Channel on a calm day is a disgrace.
    Cruise companies seem to save their worst polluting ships for trips to Tobermory.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

And your solution to the roblems of climate change is what, exactly? It's so easy, but very stupid, to just sneer at people trying to tackle very real problems

Quote Originally Posted by mainsail1 View Post
    I've noticed that as well, 2 distinct lines in the shipping lanes of the brown/yellow pollution. I believe that it is caused by the type of 'fuel' that they use. They should have some form of filter system in the 'funnels' to remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post

It is clear that this study is about pollution from ALL vessels, including, as it should, yachts as being part of all vessels.

Perhaps there may not be sufficient volume of yachts to make this a priority for action. But a study of all vessel pollution is surely a good thing to do. It has nothing to do with the Swedish lady, but I hold her in much higher esteem for her actions than people who make nasty snide comments.
    +1
    This clearly says ALL vessels, including yachts. And I for one would love to see the reduction in the waste of natural resources by those who think we all need to suffer from Diesel fumes around our coast. By the way, I am also all for the scrapping of this rediculour "tax free" Red Diesel in the UK. I'd rather pay extra and encourage our community to use less. One of the few ... "I remember when ..." views I have of the old days. Most times I look forward, but when anchored in a bay that was once tranquil and encouraged contemplation, i look back to the absence of folk letting children drive whining outboards while they sit back letting their generators keep the aircon at the perfect temperature. Grrrrr!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    What a nasty and vindictive posting. Are you perhaps and elderly male who cares less about our environment than many millions of other people.

If you have sat in a harbour downwind of some fishing boat, or yacht, running it’s engine for long periods of time then you might realise how nasty the emissions from old Diesel engines can be - and far far worse from ships running on cheapest dirtiest fuel oil. Countries downwind of major shipping Channels are experiencing significant pollution from dirty ship emissions.
    Perhaps you have never suffered asthma. Or don’t care about those who have. Perhaps you don’t care about your children or grandchildren breathing in particulates and gases from ship, fishing boat or yacht engines.
    The few times we have had to motor downwind, it has been clear that even a recent Volvo marine diesel is much less clean than a modern car diesel.

Well said!
    Moody 39- Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

Page 1 of 17 12345611 ... LastLast