Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Default Re: Thank St Greta for saving us

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    I absolutely agree that concerns are rising. The trick is going to be in convincing people that a world without a lot of things they take for granted will be better than the alternative.
    Yup. Thing is, people being people, some will just carry on regardless until they cant get their own way. Squalls ahead.

The big polluters of the airline and auto industries look to be making great advances in technology, even industrial nations like China are realising whats happening. But the squawkers will still.......squawk!

Or as said before in that fab cartoon, 'What if its a giant hoax and we've made a better world for nothing?'

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    You have absolutely no idea what I skipper!!!! Which adds to the other hugely growing list of things you seem keen to demonstrate to the world you dont know.

Edam or Red Liecester, me old hole digger?
    Go on then, tell us.
    What superliner do you skipper?
    Even then, you wouldn't meet 1000's personally, so your cheese is toast.
    Last edited by scotty123; 30-08-19 at 16:34.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    Go on then, tell us.
    What superliner do you skipper?
    Even then, you wouldn't meet 1000's personally, so your cheese is toast.
    You seem to have great enthusiasm for fiddling while Rome burns.

Do you suggest we do nothing to stave off climate and ecological catastrophy, and just deride those who point out the problem?
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    You seem to have great enthusiasm for fiddling while Rome burns.

Do you suggest we do nothing to stave off climate and ecological catastrophy, and just deride those who point out the problem?
    Depends upon your definition of "we".
    Do you mean us few individuals, or "we" the human race?
    If the latter, you have little chance.
    How many protests do you see outside Brazilian Embassy's for example?
    Explain, exactly, what actions "we" can take to "stave off climate and ecological catastrophe", besides blustering in apparent protest on these forums? Have you, sold your gas guzzling car, ripped out your central heating & electricity useage, as a start?
    Last edited by scotty123; 31-08-19 at 12:44.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    Depends upon your definition of "we".
    Do you mean us few individuals, or "we" the human race?
    If the latter, you have little chance.
    How many protests do you see outside Brazilian Embassy's for example?
    Explain, exactly, what actions "we" can take to "stave off climate and ecological catastrophe", besides blustering. Have you, sold your gas guzzling car, ripped out your central heating & electricity useage, as a start?
    I own no car and uses buses, cycle or train whenever possible, I would heat my home with renewable resources except that Bristol pollution laws prohibit it. I am a Railway engineer and promote and enable better public transport and thus low energy transport, I have reduced my meat consumption, I have campaigned with other technologists and scientists to try and make politicians see the seriousness of the problem beyond their next election.

The problem may be fixable, so its try and fix it or opt for self or species suicide. What have the "its too latists" done?
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Perhaps she has achieved more in 3-4 years, in any sphere of world influence, than most of the grumpy old codgers on here have done in their lifetimes.
    She started her protest just a year ago, which makes the effect even more remarkable. Unfortunately the solutions she demands are so simplistic and unachievable that there is absolutely no chance of them being met That would inevitably mean some combination of widespread disillusionment or widespread resentment. Either way, I don;t think it will be long before her young fans have moved on to something else ... and we'll still be in a mess.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

She started her protest just a year ago, which makes the effect even more remarkable. Unfortunately the solutions she demands are so simplistic and unachievable that there is absolutely no chance of them being met That would inevitably mean some combination of widespread disillusionment or widespread resentment. Either way, I don;t think it will be long before her young fans have moved on to something else ... and we'll still be in a mess.
    I regret to say that you may well be correct initially. At some stage reality will kick in sand even the old farts that created the problem will have to take some action which may well be too late.

Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    You polluting the rest of the forum?
    Ah says the faux outrage leader of the pack!

s
    Much like the mess her snowflake followers leave when exiting a music festival!

Quote Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
    Much like the mess her snowflake followers leave when exiting a music festival!
    I have no reason to believe that many of the tent-abandoners were her fans, so I am not accusing anyone of hypocrisy - just pointing out that the notion of young people as a whole being specially environmentally aware does not hold up to scrutiny.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast