Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Default Re: Thank St Greta for saving us

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    I can bore for Britain on this.

There are four «*solutions*»:

1. Buy low sulphur fuel oil. That’s what my outfit are doing. There are issues with this that I can witter on about if asked - there are some crude oils that have a very low sulphur content (some Chinese and West African crudes) and there are several arrangements for making low sulphur fuel oil from higher sulphur crudes but the fuel oils tend to be unstable or incompatible or both.

2. Burn marine gas oil. That’s basically the same stuff as road diesel. You can probably spot the problem given that the world merchant fleet uses about the same amount of fuel as diesel road vehicles.., there are also exotic engineering issues

3. Fit closed loop scrubbers. Significantly expensive - say US$ 6M per ship plus operating costs including proper sludge disposal which few ports are set up to handle as well as supply of chemicals.

4. Fit open loop scrubbers and simply wash the excess sulphur oxides into the sea. The cheap and dirty solution, already banned in many places, including the entire coast of China...
    Interesting and informative, thanks

All this just shows how the focus on a narrow view of emissions targets (eg cars), ignores the big issues around large ship and aircraft emissions, which as cross national boundaries have been conveniently ignored until recently.
    It is good that some people with foresight, conscience and stamina have managed to start some progress in these areas.
    Though as others note, ultimately buying less short term disposable goods and travelling less will be the only really effective measures.

I can bore for Britain on this.

There are four «*solutions*»:

1. Buy low sulphur fuel oil. That’s what my outfit are doing. There are issues with this that I can witter on about if asked - there are some crude oils that have a very low sulphur content (some Chinese and West African crudes) and there are several arrangements for making low sulphur fuel oil from higher sulphur crudes but the fuel oils tend to be unstable or incompatible or both.

2. Burn marine gas oil. That’s basically the same stuff as road diesel. You can probably spot the problem given that the world merchant fleet uses about the same amount of fuel as diesel road vehicles.., there are also exotic engineering issues

3. Fit closed loop scrubbers. Significantly expensive - say US$ 6M per ship plus operating costs including proper sludge disposal which few ports are set up to handle as well as supply of chemicals.

4. Fit open loop scrubbers and simply wash the excess sulphur oxides into the sea. The cheap and dirty solution, already banned in many places, including the entire coast of China...
    You forgot (5) go back to sails.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    Sails are boring. Go for rotors.

"Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Im fascinated by the concept of Russian 'Nuclear Powered Icebreaker'.

What fun......

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Im fascinated by the concept of Russian 'Nuclear Powered Icebreaker'.

What fun......
    They have had them for decades... good idea I think

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    Well I did say that I can bore for Britain on this...

https://splash247.com/2035-global-wa...-anagram-soup/

https://splash247.com/mind-sulphur-cap/

and particularly...

https://splash247.com/practical-aspects-imo-mepc-72/

https://splash247.com/sleeve-oil-sub...-post-mepc-72/
    Last edited by Minn; 23-08-19 at 21:49.

Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    Are we all supposed to know what oircsaviour means?
    I wasn’t wearng glasses and couldn’t see the typo...
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

As one of «*them*» I’m happy to tell you that as of the first of January next year «*they*» will either burn low sulphur fuel oil or «*they*» will indeed «*have some form of filter system in the funnels to remove it*».
    Did the industry "volunteer " or was if forced on you by the IMO?.... (actually I know the answer)

But that is thread drift.
    We as boat owners are about to face more regulations because St Greta and her likes have suddenly thought to focus on something that really is of no consequence in the overall scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Interesting and informative, thanks

All this just shows how the focus on a narrow view of emissions targets (eg cars), ignores the big issues around large ship and aircraft emissions, which as cross national boundaries have been conveniently ignored until recently.
    It is good that some people with foresight, conscience and stamina have managed to start some progress in these areas.
    Though as others note, ultimately buying less short term disposable goods and travelling less will be the only really effective measures.
    The worlds marine fleet produces about as much pollution as Germany.
    That may sould a lot... But compared to India, Brazil, China, America it is a cigarette next to a bombfire. And, marine transport is the absolutely most fuel efficient way to move stuff. It takes roughly 1hp per tonne to move on water... Compared to an HGV packing 300hp to move 25 tonnes.

Asda: every little counts.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast