Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Marchioness, MCA proposals not yet enacted?

Quote Originally Posted by oldharry View Post
    The enquiry found that very very few people would have survived had the ferry gone over in deep water, and not capsized on to a sandbank, a bit like Costa Concordia where loss of life would have been far greater had the ship carried on in to deep water after being holed.
    One of the reassuring things about crossing from North Shields to IJmuiden in a storm is that for almost all of the route there is nowhere near enough water for her to sink. Rolling over would be a bit of a bummer, though, if you were on the "down" side.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch01527 View Post
    I studied Nautical Science at University ( pre HoFE disaster) and we were set a assignment of calculating the stability of various types of vessel. No one in the class could produce a calculation for a roll on roll off ferry that met the minimum safety regulations because of the open decks and the results of free surface effect ( technical definition - water sloshing around ).

Our professor confirmed that our calculations were correct. A ro-ro Ferry was given an exemption from the regulations and a only few inches of water ingress would cause it to capsize. Shocking negligence by the regulatory bodies in my opinion.
    It's been like that since the Princess Victoria. Everybody knows they are death traps but money talks.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Would you book your loved ones on a system which said " well most of them make it "
    Is this becoming a Clipper Ventures thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Would you book your loved ones on a system which said " well most of them make it "
    Actually, Yes.

Mainly because there's no other kind. The most dangerous part of any ferry crossing from the UK, assuming you survive the M25, is when you get to the other side and have to start driving on the wrong side of the road.

Given the number of times car ferries find themselves wandering around outside Dover 'cos it's too windy to go in (steady 50 kts IIRC), and how many of those ferries have problems, I reckon they fall a bit short on death trap status.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234