Default Arzal lock closures - August

Anyone thinking of entering or leaving the River Vilaine during what's left of August and the first few days of September might want to know about restrictions just announced on the lock timetable at Arzal.

"Chers plaisanciers,

L'EPTB Vilaine, gestionnaire du barrage d'Arzal nous informe de la nécessité de restreindre les ouvertures de l'écluse d'Arzal sur la fin du mois d'Août.

La présence de chlorures dans la Vilaine, amenés par l'eau de mer à chaque éclusage, est évacuée par l'ouverture des vannes du barrage. Le débit d'évacuation est choisi en fonction de la quantité d'eau disponible en Vilaine en amont du barrage.
    Les conditions hydrologiques depuis le début de l'été ont amené l'EPTB Vilaine à réduire le débit d'évacuation d'eau par les vannes puis à décider de restrictions d'éclusage à partir du 29 Août.

Ces restrictions sont partielles, en effet, plusieurs éclusages sont maintenus chaque jour :

6 éclusages du jeudi 29 Août au dimanche 1er Septembre inclus : 9h, 10h, 11h, 16h, 20h, 21h

4 éclusages les lundi 2 et mercredi 4 Septembre : 9h, 11h, 18h, 20h

Fermeture complète le 3 Septembre (pour mémoire, fermeture technique déjà prévue)

A partir du jeudi 5 Septembre : retour au calendrier normal

Les jours de restriction sont choisis en fonction du coefficient de marée ; les grandes marées ont un impact plus important sur les entrées de chlorures en Vilaine.

Rendez-vous sur PASSEPORT ECLUSE pour vérifier en direct les horaires de chaque passage et déclarer votre intention de passage.
    Grâce à votre déclaration sur PASSEPORT ECLUSE, chaque plaisancier ayant déclaré une intention de passage à un horaire de restriction sera prévenu par la Capitainerie et se verra proposer un nouvel horaire de passage.

Nous vous souhaitons de belles navigations."

L'Equipe du port de La Roche-Bernard.
    "

Which, by courtesy of Google Translate, means:

"Dear boaters,

EPTB Vilaine, manager of the Arzal dam informs us of the need to restrict the opening of the Arzal lock at the end of August.

The presence of chlorides in the Vilaine, brought by the seawater at each lock, is evacuated by the opening of the dam gates. The discharge rate is chosen according to the amount of water available in Vilaine upstream of the dam.
    The hydrological conditions since the beginning of the summer led the EPTB Vilaine to reduce the flow of water through the valves and to decide lock restrictions from 29 August.

These restrictions are partial, in fact, several locks are maintained each day:

6 locks from Thursday, August 29th to Sunday, September 1st included: 9h, 10h, 11h, 16h, 20h, 21h

4 locks on Monday 2nd and Wednesday 4th September: 9h, 11h, 18h, 20h

Closing completely on September 3rd (for memory, technical closure already planned)

From Thursday, September 5th: back to the normal calendar

The days of restriction are chosen according to the tidal coefficient; high tides have a greater impact on the entry of chlorides in Vilaine.

Go to PASSEPORT ECLUSE to check live times of each passage and declare your intention to pass.
    Thanks to your declaration on PASSEPORT ECLUSE, each yachtsman who has declared an intention to pass a restriction schedule will be notified by the Harbor Master's Office and will be offered a new passage schedule.

We wish you beautiful sailing.

The Port team at La Roche-Bernard.
    "

Default Re: Arzal lock closures - August

Just got the email. I'm starting to wonder at what point berth holders will be compensated for these regular lock closures. No wonder you're looking to relocate downstream of the lock.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Some confusion on Arzal and the Vilaine for me. I'm currently berthed in Port Haliguen and have just started to ponder on whether I stay next year or move somewhere else ( in the region). I've read several posts on here recommending or praising Arzal / Roche Bernard but just about every UK or French sailor I've met since being down here (since April this year) has said different - typically the lock is chaotic ,especially weekends and high season ?
    I was originally after a 'Terre-Plein' or dry sailing contract but can't get that in Roche Bernard anyway as I have 2.2M draft and I was told by Arzal they were full (right up until the last week in March when I was suddenly offered a place)
    As an aside, I also looked at Crouesty but have been told by several French guys that dry sailing out of there is equally chaotic - launch / recovery is unreliable...
    Thus far, with the expansion work due to finish by next spring, I plan to stay here in PH for another year, notwithstanding the 'B' word. The only minor downside is traffic in season for the last 12 miles or so down from the N165, otherwise I wonder why I didn't get the boat down here years ago

Arzal lock is the sea lock for the River Vilaine. Upstream of it there are no more locks up as far as Redon. I don't know what there is beyond Redon but you would soon run out of water.

For dry sailing, you could try MultiNautique at Folleux. I don't know what the draft limitation there is there but it might be worth enquiring.

There is a dry sailing yard just downstream of Arzal lock run by Camoel-Nautic but they are not in the Passeport Escales scheme; which I would consider to be a great disadvantage.

Arzal lock is becoming a nuisance due to unexpected closures and overcrowding at peak times. Plenty of fenders and a sense of humour is your best guide! A booking system has been instituted but seems, at the moment, to be more advisory than actual!

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwave395;6884316I've read several posts on here recommending or praising Arzal / Roche Bernard but just about every UK or French sailor I've met since being down here (since April this year) has said different - typically the lock is chaotic ,especially weekends and high season ?

[COLOR="#0000CD"
    The lock is not too bad unless you want to go out on a Friday afternoon or return on a Sunday night unless there is a regatta of 200 boats coming in - ask me how I know!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwave395;6884316I've read several posts on here recommending or praising Arzal / Roche Bernard but just about every UK or French sailor I've met since being down here (since April this year) has said different - typically the lock is chaotic ,especially weekends and high season ?

[COLOR="#0000CD"

I was originally after a 'Terre-Plein' or dry sailing contract but can't get that in Roche Bernard anyway as I have 2.2M draft and I was told by Arzal they were full (right up until the last week in March when I was suddenly offered a place)

LRB are apparently getting a new travel lift soon that might cater for 2.2m (they offered me a Contract and I’m 2.1m.The reason we never moved to LRB was that Arzal offered us a Terre Plein at the last moment, as is there norm... )
    For us the benefits of keeping the boat safely behind the lock outweighs the inconvenience of locking in and out four times a year and being very flexible with our times. The 26 miles of beautiful navigable river up to Redon also has its own pleasures. We are very happy to keep our boat here for the foreseeable future.
    [/COLOR]
    Last edited by dslittle; 24-08-19 at 09:30.

Dum vivimus vivamus

Thanks for that info update, I'll look at LRB again. My last minute Arzal offer arrived long after I'd paid my Port Haliguen marina fees, have you had any issues getting launched / recovered or berthed there ? I'm aware from visiting it's a bit remote from everything other than boat facilities but we're always in the car or on the bike, my crew thought LRB might be nicer as it's got more walking distance facilities