Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12v fan

Default 12v fan

I know this has been covered before but Iím struggling to find any threads with the search function so apologies in advance.
    Iím looking to get a couple of 12 v fans and so far the ones I have tried are so noisy and power hungry it wouldnít be possible to sleep with them.
    We donít need a fan capable of running a wind tunnel but something quiet enough to sleep with. Currently using a small USB fan thatís ĎOKí but could do with a bit more flow.
    Happy if someone can point me to a Link to a previous thread.
    What are others using?

Mike

Default Re: 12v fan

Get the large 12v one that's about £90. I bought the cheaper one for about £40, and it's rubbish. Dead noisy and not much air flying around.

Caframo, but they ain't cheap!!!!

Caframo Scirocco. One next to each berth. They have a 2,4,6 hr timer - In Greece we mostly find 2hrs to get to sleep is enough but obviously depends on temperature. Low power consumption. In my opinion worth the price.

I agree, Caframo Scirocco are the best. Low power consumption and very quiet.
    RPP

I bought one of these from QVC for £70 just before the last heat wave. Runs from a USB socket and is pretty much the dogs bollocks, as far as I'm concerned.

12 speed settings. Remote control. Timer. carry handle.

I wondered if it would be worth the money, but QVC give a 30 day money back guarantee - it wont be going back!

They do a 350 version, and a 1050 version - I think the numbers refer to litres per hour, or something like that.

https://www.meaco.com/cooling/meacof...air-circulator
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!

Another vote for Caframo; quiet, effective, low power draw and worth the cost; we must've tried/fitted/gave up on half a dozen others before biting the bullet and buying ours, so we probably spent more on those failures anyway.
    Hit the road often enough and eventually it will hit you back.

In my previous boat I had both hellas turbo fans and those frameless cafranos in all cabins and the saloon. All were relatively quiet at low output, though the frameless cafranos were vibrating and making lots of noise.
    However my favorite, which I still use in my new boat, is a USB fan. It doesn't push that much air (but it's OK if you keep it close to you) but it is very, very quiet. And very cheap by the way.
    Keep sailing

Quote Originally Posted by cmedsailor View Post
    In my previous boat I had both hellas turbo fans and those frameless cafranos in all cabins and the saloon. All were relatively quiet at low output, though the frameless cafranos were vibrating and making lots of noise.
    However my favorite, which I still use in my new boat, is a USB fan. It doesn't push that much air (but it's OK if you keep it close to you) but it is very, very quiet. And very cheap by the way.
    , same here,. coframo aren't all that quiet.

Prefer USB fan in the bunk, though the little metal frame ones aren't that great, local diy shop does these ones which are next to silent even on high speed & kick out enough to keep you cool at night.

https://www.aki.pt/Mini-ventoinha-az...ON-P75372.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by cmedsailor View Post
    Our Caframo is very quiet and runs all night at lower speed with low current draw (~0.2A or less). It isn't particularly noisy on high power and I could sleep with it on. However, it would be like sleeping through a moderate gale.

I do remember being told that it was 50:50 whether or not a Caframo was noisy or quiet. No idea if it is true and other Caframo owners have commented on lack of noise. Perhaps you were unlucky and bought a noisy one.
    Last edited by Mistroma; 22-08-19 at 11:25.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast