Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Eberspatcher D2 service costs or DIY?

In the spring our heater stopped working.. It came with the boat so I have no idea when (if ever) it was last serviced.. I want to get it working again before it starts getting chilly.. What do these units cost to service and does anyone in Poole/Bournemouth service them? Alternatively is it possible to get the service items and any special tools easily to service it myself?

Default Re: Eberspatcher D2 service costs or DIY?

Not long ago my similar but slightly higher powered D4 packed up.
    A special box spanner is needed to remove and refit the glow plug. Otherwise not too challenging.
    In my case the ECU had failed which was not cheap... but an easy job to replace.

Possible sources of parts
    https://www.kirknalls.co.uk/eberspacher-d2.html
    https://www.butlertechnik.com/ebersp...99015407-p1695

When I investigated the cost of having my ancient D3 serviced a year or so ago I received and estimate of over £200 (can't remember exact figure). That's more than the cost of an unbranded Chinese cheapie replacement, or a significant contribution to a branded and CE marked Russian replacement. As my heater is still working, and I don't have the time or patience to service it myself, it's remained unserviced.

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

When my Eberspacher D3L would not run after lying unused for a few years the problem was only that the multi-pin connector about 200 mm from the unit had corroded. Cleaning it up got the unit running well.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by wipe_out View Post
    In the spring our heater stopped working.. It came with the boat so I have no idea when (if ever) it was last serviced.. I want to get it working again before it starts getting chilly.. What do these units cost to service and does anyone in Poole/Bournemouth service them? Alternatively is it possible to get the service items and any special tools easily to service it myself?
    They're easy enough to take apart and rebuild. However, you need to diagnose exactly why yours stopped working. The "Fault Codes" troubleshooting manual may help, you can download it from the excellent Butler Technik website. If you can't diagnose the fault, taking it to an Eberspacher service agent may be a good idea, and you might consider choosing a truck diesel company rather than a marine company, as pricing might be a bit more appealing. Dealer list here - https://www.eberspacher.com/dealers/...g-dealers.html

If 'doing it yourself' there's useful information provided here:
    https://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk...r_intro_1.html

Good bit of advice I got from this forum re my D3L was to run it occasionally at full blast on good quality paraffin,
    this evidently gets it very hot and burns of the diesely deposits.
    Never had to service mine in 20 years.

Plank
    Hang the Rich.

Try DIY.
    Has it just simply stopped or did it get worse and worse and then gave up?
    If the former you need to look for a fault if the later then probably a decoke but check all wiring first as that can fail gradually over time.
    Check power AT HEATER under start load.

Plenty on you tube about servicing the Chinese diesel heater which is a copy of a D2.
    Leisure Owners Association

Unless you can service it yourself (quite easy and cheap as long as new components are not required), just bin that thing and buy one of the chink copies. I've done it 3 years ago replacing 2 of my Ebers for half of the cost of servicing one (needed a new ECU). Never looked back. Both work spotlessly and efficiently and I have no worries about servicing if something should go wrong. I would just buy a new one... Just one gripe: the instruction manuals are the worst pieces of literature ever produced - just after the Holy Bible - and you need some time to get thru them. But with a bit of help from U-tube this can be sorted out easily.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast