Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Old Garmin 128 GPS, amazing price!

    Slight thread drift but.......

    We have one of these on the yacht I sail on but since the GPS upgrades earlier this year we haven't been able to get it to work. Does anyone have any experience of this issue or can point me in the direction of a fix?

    We use it for racing round the cans and have all the club marks on it

    Thanks

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Home - Sothampton, Boat - Gosport
    Posts
    10,071

    Default Re: Old Garmin 128 GPS, amazing price!

    Not sure it's the update that did for it. Mine still works perfectly at around 15 years old.

    Sure I'd like a plotter, but I've got far too many other things to spend 300-odd quid on, so my phone will have to keep doing that job. OTO, someone else bid £359, so maybe, just maybe...
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK, Hamble
    Posts
    549

    Default Re: Old Garmin 128 GPS, amazing price!

    Notice that the winning bidder has rating on (0).

    But these do often go for very good prices, which seem to be rising. I sold one on eBay which went via the International Shipping Service. From what I can tell the same buyer was picking up a number of them.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    160

    Default Re: Old Garmin 128 GPS, amazing price!

    Talk to Garmin they can supply a new aerial which works well on my 20 year old 128.
    Regards
    David MH

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    679

    Default Re: Old Garmin 128 GPS, amazing price!

    Quote Originally Posted by CamR View Post
    Slight thread drift but.......

    We have one of these on the yacht I sail on but since the GPS upgrades earlier this year we haven't been able to get it to work. Does anyone have any experience of this issue or can point me in the direction of a fix?

    Not sure I can help with your 128, But the bouys in the Solent are all downloadable so you can with one click put them on a micro card and load them straight on to a chartplotter. My Garmin works fine not sure what GPS upgrades you are referring to.

    Steveeasy

    We use it for racing round the cans and have all the club marks on it

    Thanks

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK, Hamble
    Posts
    549

    Default Re: Old Garmin 128 GPS, amazing price!

    Quote Originally Posted by davidmh View Post
    Talk to Garmin they can supply a new aerial which works well on my 20 year old 128.
    Regards
    David MH
    Or you can buy a generic one from on Ebay. I got one from China for about £15, worked fine.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...a+bnc&_sacat=0

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SW Scotland
    Posts
    19,524

    Default Re: Old Garmin 128 GPS, amazing price!

    Quote Originally Posted by cpedw View Post
    A particularly useful feature of the 128 is Proximity Waypoints. You set a guard distance from the waypoint and it alarms if position gets closer than that distance to the waypoint. Handy for avoiding obstacles.

    This is a feature that I haven't found on modern plotters that I've used.
    My Matsutec HP-33A does that as an "Arrival alarm".
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    mainland uk
    Posts
    281

    Default Re: Old Garmin 128 GPS, amazing price!

    I find that my phone locks onto satellites quicker than any of my marine gps units.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Cowes
    Posts
    426

    Default Re: Old Garmin 128 GPS, amazing price!

    Quote Originally Posted by cpedw View Post
    A particularly useful feature of the 128 is Proximity Waypoints. You set a guard distance from the waypoint and it alarms if position gets closer than that distance to the waypoint. Handy for avoiding obstacles.

    This is a feature that I haven't found on modern plotters that I've used.

    Derek
    The GOS 72H handhelds have that.. also on Google Maps on the phone..yes quite useful

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Cowes
    Posts
    426

    Default Re: Old Garmin 128 GPS, amazing price!

    Quote Originally Posted by ltcom View Post
    I find that my phone locks onto satellites quicker than any of my marine gps units.
    So does mine!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to