Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Antifoul - stepping up the battle

Totally fed up this year - heavy application of Hemple regular A/F and it fouled within 3 weeks. I ask you. Weed seems to feed on it! Scrubbing ever since to keep weed under control. Why apply A/F at all if this is the outcome - just keep scrubbing with every outing.

Q - does it pay to trade up to harder A/F, racing type, pay the price but be sure that as soon as the boat is under way, any accumulated growth will just float off the harder surface? Does that really work?

And can this "premium" A/F be slapped on over regular old A/F or will it just peel off?

Your honest experience will save me much anguish either way.

Thanks

PWG

Default Re: Antifoul - stepping up the battle

Quote Originally Posted by peter gibbs View Post
    Totally fed up this year - heavy application of Hemple regular A/F and it fouled within 3 weeks. I ask you. Weed seems to feed on it! Scrubbing ever since to keep weed under control. Why apply A/F at all if this is the outcome - just keep scrubbing with every outing.
    What do you call a "heavy application"? Where's the boat?

Hard antifoul works when your Hull is going fairs not designed for under 10kts. Some antifoul works better in some areas rather than others. Look on PBO website who conducted an analysis a few years ago.

Where I am seajet works better than tiger extra.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Er, no it doesn’t do that. «*Hard racing*» works because the owner’s racing crew spend a day scrubbing it once a month.

The soft self polishing types may be a little better.

Launched June 10th with two coats Seajet Shogun 33. Just a bit of brown slime recently, much of which came off after a hard sail yesterday.

Anybody able to report on the performance of International Micron 350 yet?

Seems to me there are huge variations from year to year in the performance of antifoul. Much seems to depend on the water temperature. The best solutions are; 1. Keep the boat moving. 2. Go to fresh water for a few days then back to saline as often as possible.
    The rest is just expensive.
    Pardon?

We going back to CC end of the year , I had started to think normally AF is now so weak it's a waste of time and money .
    We AF in march , we then spend three weeks without moving and been on the move most days since , within three month we was scrubbing the boat every few weeks removing what we call out in the MED white corral worm , luckily the water warm and clear to see what we doing ,
    I would say if we left it two months we be covered in fouling .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by richardbrennan View Post
    Anybody able to report on the performance of International Micron 350 yet?
    I've just applied Micron 350, so I'll report back in 2 years' time. I've been using Micron on a 2 year cycle for many years now, with the boat in the water continually apart from a week's liftout every 2 years. Here's what the hull looked like on liftout this July, after 2 years use.

fouling.jpg

Not sure what I did to my previous post!

We have Micron 350 and launched in April. So far we have some slime on the hull and waterline with slightly heavier fouling on the rudder. We are sailing round the UK this year so the boat is moving more than most and we have also had a bit of time in fresh water. The more antifoul is weakened, the more I'm thinking Coppercoat

I put CC on 2 winters ago. The hull hasn't been cleaned since and it looks like this (ignore the hole in the rudder): https://flic.kr/p/2gEDAyV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast