Default another 'doh' moment

Watching tv last night memsahib making coffee complains she hears a motor running constantly nearby, which turns out to be our freshwater pressure pump. We just had new mixer taps/showers fitted in both heads so suspected one was dripping or had a connection leak and went hunting. after a fruitless hour of tracing pipe runs, joins etc I glanced at the tank gauge and sure enough it is on empty, even though water still flowing at taps 'doh' So a fill up in the dark and pump operates normally again but. tank gauge however refuses to reach 'full' mark so will top off again this morning to see if that helps it regain it's composure. Getting tired of senior moments like this.

Well topping off this sunny morn has restored normality. Not 'full' to the full mark on gauge but to my marker line 'full' just below that. Empty is when it says 'reserve' but we don't want to go there lest risking soap covered shower rinse fail.
    Last edited by Robin; 22-08-19 at 07:59. Reason: update
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Default Re: another 'doh' moment

On the ( I admit I thought basic even in 1992 ) Gib Sea 42 used by a sailing school, the fresh water pump below the aft cabin would kick in every few minutes no matter how much water we had - the first move by instructors and examiners who knew the boat was to pull the circuit breaker so they could get some sleep.

There's a lot to be said for a big bottle or two of nice salmonella and Noro free mineral water, and you can see how much is left.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Our freshwater system has suffered from minor leaks through much of its 20-yr life, while I spend half my time tracing the potential sources, which are legion. Now that it is in its maturity, I think that I may have just about got it right. Not only does the pump not cut in overnight but if I don't depressurise the system before leaving the boat, there is still some pressure at the taps when I return a week later. I trust that the fates are not reading this.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

I've never really trusted built in tanks since I topped up fresh water in St Peter Port, 1985 - a day later we saw weed coming through the tap and thought ' uh oh ' but it it had already got me, I'll spare the ballistic in every direction details but being with me on a small boat probably wouldn't have got 5 stars on trip advisor

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    I've never really trusted built in tanks since I topped up fresh water in St Peter Port, 1985 - a day later we saw weed coming through the tap and thought ' uh oh ' but it it had already got me, I'll spare the ballistic in every direction details but being with me on a small boat probably wouldn't have got 5 stars on trip advisor
    pump not cutting in now and gauge working OK so normality restored. I like tonic in Gin and Perrier (or Asda 17p copy) with lemon squash but neither of those to shower with!
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

I haven't got a water level indicator, I only know it's low when the pump stays on! But tank is 100 gals so normally lasts well, except when my daughter stays onboard, then I'm lucky to get two days before a refill.

Seajet- Have you no filters on your water system?
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Seajet- Have you no filters on your water system?
    That was the 1980's - we did have ' puritabs ' and similar but it was all hit and miss and I've not used the built in tank since, thinking of prising it out to make more stowage space.

One good tip I read from blue water sailors, people are always much more easy going on a visibly half full / empty daily water can - so never fill it to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    That was the 1980's - we did have ' puritabs ' and similar but it was all hit and miss and I've not used the built in tank since, thinking of prising it out to make more stowage space.

One good tip I read from blue water sailors, people are always much more easy going on a visibly half full / empty daily water can - so never fill it to the top.
    A good tip!