Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Scottish Rigger Recommendations

As above, has anyone got any recommendations for riggers (or ones to avoid ) in Scotland to replace the standing s/s rigging this winter?

Thanks
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

Default Re: Scottish Rigger Recommendations

Try Mast and Rigging at Kipp Marina, they are, always very busy, which I take to be a good sign, and I've had exellent service from them over the years, but don't leave organising to the last minute.
    Cheers
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Edwards View Post
    Try Mast and Rigging at Kipp Marina, they are, always very busy, which I take to be a good sign, and I've had exellent service from them over the years, but don't leave organising to the last minute.
    Sadly I have always had poor to non-existent service from MRS office at Largs - the only on site Largs supplier who has failed us (repeatedly). Not sure who else to recommend so interested in other responses.

Key thing to check will be whether any smaller suppliers have access to the best high pressure tools to make the rigging ends. No room for compromise here.

Owen Sails, near Oban, made up new wires for my mizzen last winter. The job was well, and accurately done.

Have you considered measuring carefully and ordering the bits from a good supplier, e.g. Jimmy Green or Allspars? If I was not so close to both suppliers I'd be doing that.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Edwards View Post
    +1

Good service at Kip and at Largs. Standing Rigging replaced, running rigging replaced, mast and rigging inspected, stepped and tuned. Recently had a 10 year inspection done.

A busy company about to enter a busy period. I would recommend them based on the service I have got. I am flexible but on occasion it has taken more than one email followed by a call or two to get the work scheduled.

Happy with quality and cost.

Now, having measured up for new sails and supplied dimensions and successfully took delivery of sails. I would seriously consider measuring and ordering online if cost saving is significant.

Has anyone used Clyde Rigging? They are based in Ardrossan,
    Thanks
    Jerry

The only Scottish rigger I have used is MRS at Kip, not frequently , the last time was perhaps five years ago, and it has always been Kemp/Selden rigs, would go back again, always found them knowledgeable and efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Five View Post
    Has anyone used Clyde Rigging? They are based in Ardrossan,
    Thanks
    Jerry
    I've only used them for minor tasks, my boat was parked in Ardrossan, next to their container all last winter. They were helps and seemed to know what they are doing.
    Talking to the yard hands ( the people who operate the hoists and move boats around) at Kip and Largs and Ardrossan, the consensus seemed to be that Mast and Rigging do about 3 times more rigging replacements than Clyde Riggers.
    It could be that Mast and Rigging have been around a lot longer, it also probably means that they may be more available and responsive.
    Cheers
    Ian

Alba Sailing at Dunstaffnage replaced our rigging 2 years ago. They did make a mistake on the length of 2 lower shrouds but put it right in a morning.

Owen Sails have a good general reputation but I don't know anyone with their rigging, apart from Norman S.

Derek

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast