Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Scottish Rigger Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Sadly I have always had poor to non-existent service from MRS office at Largs - the only on site Largs supplier who has failed us (repeatedly). Not sure who else to recommend so interested in other responses.
    I got MRS in Largs to make new standing rigging for my Hunter 490 (no reasonable offer refused) and gave them the old stuff to use as templates. They managed to make the forestay 2m too long, the backstay 1m too short, one inner shroud right and one 0.5m too short and the outers 0.5m too short and 1m too long. I haven't used them since.
    Last edited by JumbleDuck; 23-08-19 at 11:46.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Has anyone used or know of Coast to Coast Rigging in Port Edgar?
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

I have twice used scotia handling services in Linwood. The do industrial wire systems but also yacht stainless steel. Very good prices. You need to take the old rigging to them and they will make new replacements to the old sizes

The West Coast covers a fair bit of territory and because I am quite a way from anywhere that could do the job for me, I opted to do it myself with the materials supplied by Jimmy Green.
    I needed two swages done and Caley in Inverness were very reasonable for this.
    All in it wasn't too much of an effort and I trust my own work.
    I know you have asked for a recommendation, but if there is nobody convenient, consider DIY.

Owen Sails did my rigging about three years ago. I would happily recommend them. They also replaced my mainsail track and sail slides with a non-bearing system that is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by cpedw View Post
    Alba Sailing at Dunstaffnage replaced our rigging 2 years ago. They did make a mistake on the length of 2 lower shrouds but put it right in a morning.

Owen Sails have a good general reputation but I don't know anyone with their rigging, apart from Norman S.

Derek

I had an inspection and forestay replaced by John at https://www.fairlieriggers.com/ very happy with the service and a nice guy to deal with. He will probably have a stand at the show at Kip in October

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    I had an inspection and forestay replaced by John at https://www.fairlieriggers.com/ very happy with the service and a nice guy to deal with. He will probably have a stand at the show at Kip in October
    I had all mine renewed by him two years ago. All perfectly made very quickly and reasonably cheap as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12