Default Using the side ‘passages’ under Orwell bridge

Was on a good tack yesterday and threw caution to the wind and used the passage to left of main channel (going down river). Depth was 3.5 metres at high tide neaps. Anyone ever used the one nearer to bank after that one? (so two over from main channel).

Default Re: Using the side ‘passages’ under Orwell bridge

Oh dear, Fred, let us all know how you get on.

You go first!

Looking at aerial photos, OS maps, etc. it looks like the next one might well be doable, too (I think you have a lift keel?). The ones yet further inshore on the east side look very shallow. You might also be able to squeeze through the one outside the channel on the west side if you stick very close to the base of the pier. I'd also have a look at low tide first, especially on the western side, to see if there are any nasties lying on the river bed.

You could cheat by anchoring nearby for a spring tide, and record at what height each passage covers or uncovers.

Indeed. Next time I’m motoring back to Debbages I’ll put boat in survey vessel mode (keel up) and measure next one over. It’s very useful for getting in a nice long tack not to be restricted to central channel under bridge.

Personally, I wouldn't bother, there isn't much room upstream and the wind can be too fickle under the bridge to rely on maintaining a tack. You would be limited to high water only I suspect.
    Harwich for the Continent - Brexit For the Incontinent . Sadler 290

Really depends on the boat doesn't it.........
    The western one is useful if its blowing south,south west as it sets you up for a nice long beat which can get me right down to potter point in one go sometimes.... especially if I'm inside of the for / aft moorings near Foxes
    The only one I haven't done is the far left!!....... its halve beach

Basically they get shallower the same as the rest of the river where there is no bridge