Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Where to take RYA Coastal Practical @ Christmas / early Jan?

I guess now that I am engaging in longer passages it would be a good idea to get better qualified.

I am considering taking an online Coastal Skipper Theory course, followed by the Practical course. If I set my mind to it, I am sure I could do the theory between now and Christmas, then I have the opportunity to take time off work from 20th Dec to 17th Jan and am considering this could be a nice time in which to fit in the practical course. While I could do it in England, perhaps somewhere warmer may also be nice.

Recommendations from customers or school skippers, would be most welcome.

Default Re: Where to take RYA Coastal Practical @ Christmas / early Jan?

Quote Originally Posted by PhillM View Post
    I guess now that I am engaging in longer passages it would be a good idea to get better qualified.

I am considering taking an online Coastal Skipper Theory course, followed by the Practical course. If I set my mind to it, I am sure I could do the theory between now and Christmas, then I have the opportunity to take time off work from 20th Dec to 17th Jan and am considering this could be a nice time in which to fit in the practical course. While I could do it in England, perhaps somewhere warmer may also be nice.

I did mine in the Canaries which was testing enough but warmer - a long time ago so I couldn’t still recommend the school.

Canaries might be worth a look. Canary sail seemed a good bunch when i was down there sharing a few cold san Miguel's between courses with them. Pretty much always sunny and you get to play in higher winds in the well known acceleration zones between the islands.

Thailand at Christmas is always pleasant as you could also fit in some diving -Im sure one of the charter companies out there would be able to advise - as you are based in the Solent another source of info might be some of the stands at the SBS if you have time to attend.

Personally having visited /stayed on Tenerife in Adeje region more times than I can recall it always seems to be quite windy in the south notwithstanding the charms of the smaller islands it might be not that inviting for training and its not that warm there at Christmas. I am sure its great for kite surfers etc but personally I might look for a calmer location for a practical course.

Drop capnsensible a PM he is qualified and runs out of the canaries although he might be on a delivery but he could give you a good recommendation for a school.

I have been thinking along similar lines. I'm a bit mystified as to why doing coastal skipper in the canaries is 50% more expensive than the UK however! Even before flights are booked.

Quote Originally Posted by fifer View Post
    I have been thinking along similar lines. I'm a bit mystified as to why doing coastal skipper in the canaries is 50% more expensive than the UK however! Even before flights are booked.
    Hiya. I'll answer this one first! Simple.... the overhead of running a school in the Canaries is a lot higher plus of course a bit of a premium for the location anyway.

But nice!

Quote Originally Posted by PhillM View Post

Can recommend, for your theory, Navathome. I am very biased but I see at close quarters how good they are.

If you are happy with computer based training, then straightforward to do it by Christmas.

For Coastal Practical, you could be hard pushed to find somewhere better than Gib. Winter weather can still be a challenge but a most excellent training ground.

With the time you have over the period, an alternative could be to do YM theory in a classroom followed by the Practical. Even more so in that time scale if you wanted to get real serious, assuming you have VHF operator certificate, then how about sea survival, first aid and everything you need for longer distance sailing?

There are stacks of options which is the great advantage of RYA course programmes to suit people at all levels...... I dont run a school anymore so dont worry Mods Im not selling!!

Please do send a PM if you want any direct school recommends and any of the plus/minus stuff for different places.

Ta. Canaries is that bit sunnier and warmer in Jan to consider the extra!

We did ours in Gibraltar

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast