Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Where to take RYA Coastal Practical @ Christmas / early Jan?

Doing mine in Gib.
    Just for fun as the company is paying.
    Looking forward to learning the proper way of doing things rather than my ad hoc versions.

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    On which argument you will of course take the course in the Falkland islands or maybe off Cape Horn!

RYA coastal skipper isnt about survival in apalling conditions , its about a beginner learning to sail close to the shore where his / her beginner level skills wont be overcome and where he wont be put off .
    Hmm, not sure if if I would call YM coastal a beginner's course. My recommendation would be Cornish Cruising with whom I have no professional relationship.
    I would also question the recommendation for Navathome: I did my YMO theory with them and
    It was very much "pass the exam, understand nothing". I learnt far more about astronav from a delivery skipper in three days crossing Biscay.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    I would also question the recommendation for Navathome: I did my YMO theory with them and
    It was very much "pass the exam, understand nothing". I learnt far more about astronav from a delivery skipper in three days crossing Biscay.
    With all due respect, what did you expect from a theory course? Serious question.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    With all due respect, what did you expect from a theory course? Serious question.
    Serious answer. Unnderstanding.
    Specifically, all the exercises involve plotting positions around 50deg and the plotting sheets were set up for this. With hindsight I feel a bit stupid but I believed, after the course, that those plotting sheets could be used on any passage, which of course, they cannot, but that was the only latitude used during the course.
    I have a degree in Geosciences which included modules in Astronomy and Planetary Science so you may think I should know better. However, the Navathome course focused, IMO, solely on providing an ability to pass the theory exam with no overarching view of the subject beyond the exam questions.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

I found my YM theory course a few years ago was packed full of conversation and scenario planning as much as teaching techniques. It was an intensive 4 day course and it may have helped (although it didn’t feel like it at the time) that the other attendees had pulled out as a group leaving me as the only pupil. But I found it a very rich experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Serious answer. Unnderstanding.
    Specifically, all the exercises involve plotting positions around 50deg and the plotting sheets were set up for this. With hindsight I feel a bit stupid but I believed, after the course, that those plotting sheets could be used on any passage, which of course, they cannot, but that was the only latitude used during the course.
    I have a degree in Geosciences which included modules in Astronomy and Planetary Science so you may think I should know better. However, the Navathome course focused, IMO, solely on providing an ability to pass the theory exam with no overarching view of the subject beyond the exam questions.
    Thanks for responding and raising some interesting points.

The course you did with Navathome as the provider is the RYA Ocean Theory course. As with the other providers, the RYA have licensed them to use their product in a way that makes it more accessable to a wider number of peeps. Same with Day Skipper and Coastal Theory. And thats exactly what they are, prep courses for you to go out and do it for real.

You would have used exactly the same stuff if it was a 5 day in the classroom stuff but without the Instructers annecdotes to flesh it out a bit.

Yup, you use 50 degree lat in the same way as on the other courses you use a made up chart area. You dont get worldwide on those.....and Im sure you will recall you were introduced to reductions and plotting at 50N and 50S with east and west longtitudes too.

Now you have had a chance to put the course into practice, the extracts from the Almanac and sight reduction tables (heavy) might make more sense?

But there are without doubts some shortfalls in the course....1980!!!!!! It does still work but seems odd.

The RYA training staff are highly aware of this. All the other courses have seen extensive scrutiny and have been thorouhly re designed. YMOcean is last on the list and hopefully will be ready in the autumn, Ive been itching to get me mitts on it!

However, I reckon even as it stands, its a great primer when taken together with either the excelent tips books by Tom Cunliffe and Tim Bartlett. They kinda breathe life into it. But of course no substitute for taking and reducing sights on a rolly boat....

So, think of the things you now know post course. You know where to look for world wide passage planning. Charts, publications etc etc. You know about time zones and the movement of the Sun, Moon, Planets and Stars relative to Greenwich.

With the information given you have been shown how to reduce a sextant angle to a true altitude of all of those and plot them. Sun run sun, meridian and star sight reduction and plotting.

You probably picked up more than you think. Most people dont look for deep insightful explanations of the PZX triangle actually (boring) but want to become adept with the pro formas;. That works! And good luck as you put all that into practice...... cant emphasise that enouggh, its the only way. Oh, tip. When you have taken a sight and the reduction is clearly pants, dont struggle, just bin it and take another. Sun of course.

Right enough waffle. Question. Did you raise any of this directly with Navathome? They are online from 0800 to 2000 every day of the year. And its not too late to go back to them!!

Happy cruising!

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    I found my YM theory course a few years ago was packed full of conversation and scenario planning as much as teaching techniques. It was an intensive 4 day course and it may have helped (although it didn’t feel like it at the time) that the other attendees had pulled out as a group leaving me as the only pupil. But I found it a very rich experience.
    Yeah, 4 days is a real crammer! One to one really does help though. No hiding place!

Yeah, 4 days is a real crammer! One to one really does help though. No hiding place!
    You reminded me of the course instructor’s name above - Tim Bartlett.

Just got back to the boat this morning from London as it happens. Thinking of anchoring under Lobos fro a night or two.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    You reminded me of the course instructor’s name above - Tim Bartlett.

Just got back to the boat this morning from London as it happens. Thinking of anchoring under Lobos fro a night or two.
    Result! His books about navigating are top rate in my opinion.

Welcome back to the sunshine! Was over in the anchorage on Sunday. Nice trip but was a bit overcast for a dip. Its busy busy time of year. Lots of day trippers being ferried to and fro. Plus the usual fleet of charter cats, kite surfers, ribs etc. Good news is that by 6 or 7 they all go home and the busy anchorage settles down. Might be worth a pit stop off Papagayo beaches til late afternoon? Water here as you may have tested is a bit cool but fab viz.

Enjoy your stay!

Thanks everyone. I shall have a look at the options suggested and see who has dates and prices to suit etc.

Looking more into this I am getting confused/concerned about the course pre-requisites. I have 10 years experience and last time I counted, had somewhere over about 3000 miles logged. This year (so far) I have been on board for 50+ days, sailed 800 miles including 5 passages over over 100NM taking between 24-48 hours - so plenty of night hours. However, the majority of this has been single handed in a 24 footer which, as she is an old wooden boat, only 19 foot LWL. Is anyone going to care that I was a) alone for most of the time and b) while LOA is over the min limit LWL is not. What do those with RYA instructor experience think?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast