Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VW 150

Default Re: VW 150

Definitely VW. As others have said it seems to be a combination of poor maintenance and too much low rpm running which causes the vanes to clog up. I'll carry on with research but apart from the turbo issue the engines seem to have a decent reputation.

hi jamie my friend ha arvour 230 with vw engine had problems with turbo sticking there was a leaver at side of turbo which you move back and forwards every couple of weeks, essex boats did a free upgrade service i think changed turbo which cured the problems ,my friend only had to pay for engineers travel expences to the north east, i think he did three boats in our marina.

Quote Originally Posted by bluejasper2 View Post
    hi jamie my friend ha arvour 230 with vw engine had problems with turbo sticking there was a leaver at side of turbo which you move back and forwards every couple of weeks, essex boats did a free upgrade service i think changed turbo which cured the problems ,my friend only had to pay for engineers travel expences to the north east, i think he did three boats in our marina.
    Interesting, thanks for that. If I go to see either of the boats I’ll bear that in mind.

Hi,
    You may wish to research the availability of spares as VW have now pulled out of the marine market

The vast majority of parts are straight out of the car version of the engine so available cheaply from motor factors. The marine parts can still be sourced via Barrus. Itís a popular engine for boats on the continent so availability should not be too much of an issue for routine stuff.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I might give these boats a miss, if for no other reason than removing the engine would seem to involve cutting great chunks out of the deck/wheel house area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12