Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mechanic in Ibiza

Can anyone recommend a mechanic in Ibiza? My partner is out there and thinks he may have engine troubles.

Pete

Default Re: Mechanic in Ibiza

Can't help with the mechanic in Ibiza (but if he gets to majorca near port adriano I prob can), but what's the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by julians View Post
    Can't help with the mechanic in Ibiza (but if he gets to majorca near port adriano I prob can), but what's the issue?
    Mallorca is in the wrong direction! Not sure what the issue is yet, will report back later.

Volvo Paul has his bag packed.

I think he was there a week or two ago!

Anyhow, symptoms are revs that are fluctuating at speed on the S/B engine. Voltmeter for the engine fluttering too.

Port engine fine (which makes a change)!

I had that with KAD 300,s
    Assuming the fuelling is as it should be .....
    Then it’s a turbo prob .
    First check for air leaks , loose pipes or no so tight clamps .
    If they are ok and other plumbing associated with the forced induction then it’s the thing it’s self .
    Either burnt 1- vane tips for excess EGT ,s - running around with dirty , let me rephrase that less than surgically clean props in a weighty boat .Dirty hull does not help either this time of the year .

Or 2 just the plane bearings are going .It may hand spin freely when cold with the pipage removed to kid you into thinking the bearings are ok .But at north of 2800 rpm and x degrees hot with its oil then that’s a different matter .

Bearings life is shortened by poor lubrication , both quantity and quality, and excess heat tests both .

You see as you ( your mate ) are nicely bombing along at 3200 rpm the balls start wobbling about and trying to jam and the turbo temporarily slows , revs on that engine slows ( but remember the other is fine and the good one kinda drags it up ) then the supercharger attempts to switch in on that one a few seconds ( time interval increases as the bearings deteriorate) the turbo picks up as the bearings fall into line ....... until the next time .

So the revs drop then rise for no change or in throttle position .

Porto, I think you're right (just been chatting with Kashurst and he came up with the same diagnosis). Incidentally, conditions were pretty rough which make the turbo hunting even more pronounced. His advice is to speed up!

Turbos are the originals on 750 hrs / 16 years old so I was expecting to renew them in the near future anyway.

Partner is heading round the island today and I hope it should be calmer. Will be interesting to see if he has the same issues.
    Last edited by petem; 23-08-19 at 09:56.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Porto, I think you're right (just been chatting with Kashurst and he came up with the same diagnosis). Incidentally, conditions were pretty rough which make the turbo hunting even more pronounced. His advice is to speed up! Partner is heading round the island today and I hope it should be calmer. Will be interesting to see if he has the same issues.
    It’s a while back now and it came on slowly.
    Initially maybe 1 x day even on dead calm at 3200/3400 miles away from the supposed SC cut out / turbo take over of 2700 /2800 ? Or what ever .
    Then it would ( as the bearings wear ) come on 2x then 3x a day and the hunting period get longer and longer .
    Obviously as you say in a sea going up waves and setting them near the SC cut in / turbo cut out point it’s gonna happen more frequently and it did .So 2900 to 3000 is asking for it , so to speak .
    I got by a season with it , couldn’t go below 3150 without inviting it .
    My Mechanic recommendations was a full turbo refurb and “while in “ send the heat exchangers and charge air coolers off for a refurb / clean .Quoted €5 k to be done the following Easter that included its usual service somewhere in that too .
    This was mid August .
    I listed it ( not for that) just happened to ready to move up .
    It sold a month later and fortunately it did not appear at the sea trial , S/Sker Broker did the trial and it was a F 5 gusting 6 , so in the bay of Cannes it wasn’t really possible to get it flying and the issue went unnoticed.
    It stated the season before and gradually got worse .
    But yes the more N of the transition point between SC and turbo the better .
    It never really goes just does it 1x day @ 3400 as opposed more times at 3000 .

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    It’s a while back now and it came on slowly.
    Initially maybe 1 x day even on dead calm at 3200/3400 miles away from the supposed SC cut out / turbo take over of 2700 /2800 ? Or what ever .
    Then it would ( as the bearings wear ) come on 2x then 3x a day and the hunting period get longer and longer .
    Obviously as you say in a sea going up waves and setting them near the SC cut in / turbo cut out point it’s gonna happen more frequently and it did .So 2900 to 3000 is asking for it , so to speak .
    I got by a season with it , couldn’t go below 3150 without inviting it .
    My Mechanic recommendations was a full turbo refurb and “while in “ send the heat exchangers and charge air coolers off for a refurb / clean .Quoted €5 k to be done the following Easter that included its usual service somewhere in that too .
    This was mid August .
    I listed it ( not for that) just happened to ready to move up .
    It sold a month later and fortunately it did not appear at the sea trial , S/Sker Broker did the trial and it was a F 5 gusting 6 , so in the bay of Cannes it wasn’t really possible to get it flying and the issue went unnoticed.
    It stated the season before and gradually got worse .
    But yes the more N of the transition point between SC and turbo the better .
    It never really goes just does it 1x day @ 3400 as opposed more times at 3000 .
    Well, it's made it back to our base. Debrief to follow!

Have spoken to my partner and the engine was fine on the run back from Ibiza (speeding up did the trick). Next time I'm out there I'll take my Vodia guy out and check the boos pressures on the turbo.

Incidentally, it looks like the KAD44 Turbo is no longer available from VP:

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en...-25-2974B.aspx

So we've got no choice than to source one directly from a (cheaper) turbo supplier.

Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast