Default Elling E4...? Sail to power.

Well, we've accepted an offer on our saily boat so (unless something goes terribly wrong in the next few days) now the hunt starts.

Mrs Scala very taken with the Elling E6 at last years SIBS (despite the astonishing height above the pontoon). I don't have a random 2 million euro to spend so wondering about used E4s. Not really affordable but could do some man maths on a 2005 boat.

Videos are impressive. Interior space looks very ample. Trad looks are, well, trad. Cruising speed with the bigger (non-inland-waterways) engine options is at the lower end of expectations but probably fine. Safety and comfort in poor weather seem exemplary. A perfect mobile apartment.

What am I missing. Opinions (especially from existing or previous owners) very welcome.
    Last edited by Scala; 23-08-19 at 09:48.
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala" now sold. Boatless.

Default Re: Elling E4...? Sail to power.

We were very taken by the E3/E4 but not cheap so on the maybe ultimate retirement boat list. However, I have heard a number of reports which indicate that they might not be the best of boats in a seaway. Now this is obviously contrary to their RCD Cat A status and the fact that two or three have crossed the Atlantic so the only thing I can say is that I haven’t heard it just once. I still like them though........

Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    Well, we've accepted an offer on our saily boat so (unless something goes terribly wrong in the next few days) now the hunt starts.

Mrs Scala very taken with the Elling E6 at last years SIBS (despite the astonishing height above the pontoon). I don't have a random 2 million euro to spend so wondering about used E4s. Not really affordable but could do some man maths on a 2005 boat.

Videos are impressive. Inerior space looks very ample. Trad looks are, well, trad. Cruising speed with the bigger (non-inland-waterways) engine options is fine. Safety and comfort in poor weather seem exemplary. A perfect mobile apartment.

What am I missing. Opinions (especially from existing or previous owners) very welcome.
    Opinion not an owner
    Delivered an E 3 some years ago
    Displacement speed vessel
    It was choppy
    The boat rock and rolled as they do (displacment)
    From the helm position to the saloon, a surprising lack of hand holds a kind of void to go below in a seaway
    Viewed a ‘4’ on behalf of a Friend
    They strike me as a rather ‘slab’ sided craft vis a vee the Draught
    The quicker/ bigger engine types for Me would be a must unless inland waterways were the primary usage
    Build quality as per the fixtures and fittings are very good imho
    I always ( because I do!) look at the possibility of being short handed or being solo
    IE, for berthing and unberthing as there are no side doors to access one has to go aft handle lines etc
    That’s not a design fault, lots of perfectly good vessels are similarly configured
    It’s just Me
    I have been helping a friend ( and others, paying Clients some) to choose similar vessels of late
    It’s hard to buy a boat compared to a car etc
    Cars you can test drive willy nilly as it were!
    I am no Elling ‘expert’ this as you asked for is just an Opinion
    There some good videos online of the self righting capabilities built in
    Plus iirc, films of transatlantic and other long passages to be found
    The Elling might just suit you perfectly
    I would look at similar too
    Grand Banks
    Aqua star
    Dale Nelson and the derivatives
    Again, I am a bit biased
    Semi displacement does it for Me
    Just an opinion
    Well, you did ask!
    😁
    Jerk of all Trades Master of None

Thanks. It’s a wild card to be honest. We’d be after the biggest engine...

Good point about berthing. They are high sided and have limited access to the smallish swim platforms too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    Thanks. It’s a wild card to be honest. We’d be after the biggest engine...

Good point about berthing. They are high sided and have limited access to the smallish swim platforms too.
    Don't worry about high sides, as you can leave behind the saily boat affection for leaping ashore and wrangling the boat to a halt.
    Tie up before you get off.
    Simple.

Are they stabilised when built, or is that not something considered necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Don't worry about high sides, as you can leave behind the saily boat affection for leaping ashore and wrangling the boat to a halt.
    Tie up before you get off. Simple.
    A new skill to be learned Always looks easy when others do it.

Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    Are they stabilised when built, or is that not something considered necessary?
    I believe that the Elling E6 has a SeaKeeper as standard but the smaller models not. Might find the room to fit one in an E4 if the budget would stand it. No engine room though.
    Last edited by Scala; 23-08-19 at 10:14.