Default Living onboard Wallingford to Oxford areas?

Hello,

A friend of mine is looking to buy a NB as a home. And wants to live anywhere around Wallingford, Abingdon, Oxford area but legally, preferably in a marina or on a residential mooring.
    Is that a realistic possibility up that end of the Thames?

thanks
    iosman

Default Re: Living onboard Wallingford to Oxford areas?

Why bother with the expense of a marina? Only Abingdon in that area anyway.
    Join the hundreds of other wrecks scattered along the length of the Thames, who probably pay nothing but cost E.A. thousands of pounds!
    Yes, I know. Mr Grumpy but it really is no longer a joke.
    Within the next 10 years there will be many semi submerged, abandoned NB’s that have been used by the waterborne variety of Traveller with no maintenance, hence eventual sinking. What cost to E.A. then?
    I have absolutely no problem with the genuine “houseboat” owners, although I do find it a bit odd that most marina mooring contracts state boats can not be lived on 12 months of the year, whilst they are clearly houseboats. I suppose they ship out for a month cruising the Caribbean in the winter. Very nice too!

There are very few services for narrowboats round there, there are various backwater residential moorings around Oxford but they don't come up often. The agenda 21 permanent moorings take up most of the canal space around there. There's a long history of mutual hostility between liveaboards and Oxford council that make it difficult to be a legit cruiser, It's a lovely area but not a good place to live on a boat. Plenty of nice spots on the canal north or Cropredy, but not so good if you need to commute.

Oh how I wish you were wrong Mike but sadly you are very right. Was looking forward to a trip to Oxford, our first in 15 years. Never again. It's a total sh#£/!?. Filthy boats of every discription line the bank for miles. Sunken boats, rubbish piled high on the banks of the river and funny old thing, not a licence in sight.
    I have to ask who is the bigger fool here, those who pay or those who just put 2 fingers up at the EA and Oxford City.
    What a disgraceful way to treat one of the finest city centre vistas in the world.
    EA you should be ashamed.

100% agree.

And me, we have the dubious pleasure of passing this lot whenever we head downstream (thereís another group if we head upstream and yet another group outside the marina entrance). They did manage to clear them out at one point, but they didnít move far and it didnít take long before they returned