Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jump Leads or Battery Tie Switch

I am reminded of Apollo 13 where he tied main Bat A to Bat B

On my sealine S24 like many older boats it has a battery switch to connect the House Battery (1 No) to the starter Battery (1 No) should the starter Battery fail.

Also like many older boats this switch does not work and I suspect it has never been used.

I was wondering if I should replace the kit to make this work (not cheap) or just carry a set of jump leads if it should ever happen

Your thoughts what would you do

Dennis
    Only ever look down on a person when you are bending over to help them up.

Default Re: Jump Leads or Battery Tie Switch

Replace the switch,my logic being that sods law dictates that when you need to connect the batteries together will be at the worst possible time and you want want to be fannying around getting jump leads out, connecting them up etc, you would much rather just flick a switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
    I am reminded of Apollo 13 where he tied main Bat A to Bat B

On my sealine S24 like many older boats it has a battery switch to connect the House Battery (1 No) to the starter Battery (1 No) should the starter Battery fail.

Also like many older boats this switch does not work and I suspect it has never been used.

I was wondering if I should replace the kit to make this work (not cheap) or just carry a set of jump leads if it should ever happen

Your thoughts what would you do

Dennis
    Well jump leads are handy as u could get a jump from another vessel , but with gas and petrol on board using jumps could be dangerous. Also if the switch has failed one way, it is telling you it could fail the other wa ,so replace.

On my S24 ('97/'98) I have the switch on the dash, but rather than a case of it just not working, there's no cross-over hardware in place at all; from memory there's not even any fuse for it at the isolation switches (low, starboard in cockpit).

I've opted for the hi-tech jump leads option rather than wiring in the system from scratch.

I think I'm about to repurpose the switch for a dashboard fan.

james

I have used mine for real once when the boat came out of the yard and a battery was flat

For me accessing the batteries is probably 30 min work. If yours are accessible easily a lead is prob fine. If not I would fix it

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    I have used mine for real once when the boat came out of the yard and a battery was flat

For me accessing the batteries is probably 30 min work. If yours are accessible easily a lead is prob fine. If not I would fix it
    My Batteries are accessible in under 5 mins and I also don't think I have the hardware beyond the switch

Jump leads it will be kept on board. Could also help someone else out with them which is another Bonus

If I have understood correctly could you not install a regular 'bat 1', 'bat 2', 'both' and 'off' switch instead?

I have witnessed a couple of occasions where jump leads came to the rescue.
    One was a Broom which despite having an on board generator needed a jump start (I guess the generator started from the engine start battery). He has since fitted a link switch.
    Another was a Sealine where the link switch didnít work.
    A reminder to me is to find some jump leads which I am sure I have somewhere....... or if not, just buy some to keep on the boat as they are not particularly expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by dpb View Post
    If I have understood correctly could you not install a regular 'bat 1', 'bat 2', 'both' and 'off' switch instead?
    Could do that but it is another piece of work for me to do. I think the Jump leads option is actually more versatile

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    I have witnessed a couple of occasions where jump leads came to the rescue.
    One was a Broom which despite having an on board generator needed a jump start (I guess the generator started from the engine start battery). He has since fitted a link switch.
    Another was a Sealine where the link switch didnít work.
    A reminder to me is to find some jump leads which I am sure I have somewhere....... or if not, just buy some to keep on the boat as they are not particularly expensive.
    The not particularly expensive ones donít work when you need them ,also try and keep them n air tight bag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast