Default Dinghy refurb - 2

The bottom and sides of my minipram 8' dinghy are seriously worn. GRP strands are showing in places. I'm wondering if I could sand it down, clean with acetone and 'paint' with flow coat ( which would need sanding and polishing). I've read that flow coat is not designed to cure in a free surface and has to have wax added. Can anyone enlighten me?

Default Re: Dinghy refurb - 2

Why not just clean / sand down and paint ? Much quicker than flow coat.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostlymoron View Post
    The bottom and sides of my minipram 8' dinghy are seriously worn. GRP strands are showing in places. I'm wondering if I could sand it down, clean with acetone and 'paint' with flow coat ( which would need sanding and polishing). I've read that flow coat is not designed to cure in a free surface and has to have wax added. Can anyone enlighten me?
    Flowcoat is gelcoat with the wax already added.
    What ou are suggesting is fine.
    It should be a tougher, thicker layer than paint which will absorb a few knocks and scratches.

Flow coat is gel coat with wax added.

Isn't it?

You may also need to make good the underlying laminate. Gel coat on its own has no strength.

I had a non sailing mini pram which got badly damaged. I used a lot of fibreglass filler, the gap bridging type that's got glass strands in it. Easily filed back to the shape you want. Not pretty, but a bit of flowcoat would improve the look of it.