Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Gibb winch - bottom action winch handle - help required

Here's another pic off t'interweb...

gibb.jpg

My previous boat had both top and bottom handle versions of this winch. The winch in the OP is a bottom handle winch with the handle missing, not a top handle winch with a bottom handle option. The top handle version has no cutout in the base and has three identical pawls. The version with the off centre pivot for the bottom handle is the version I had, and the third pawl and spring are different from the other two. I haven't seen the other version before, with the handle round the shaft, but it looks as though it uses the same pawl for all three places (but a different spring for the pawl on the handle).

The earlier post about Harken springs is incorrect. There are no readily available springs for these winches. After several weeks of searching I had some sets made, and when I get to the bottom of "the box of things to put on eBay" they will probably appear there. Off hand I can't remember which ones I have left.

Quote Originally Posted by andygc View Post
    The earlier post about Harken springs is incorrect. There are no readily available springs for these winches.
    I'm happy to be corrected. It is perhaps ten or fifteen years since I heard about Harken springs through the Westerly Owners' Association, so even if it was true then Harken may well have changed design since.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

There are no readily available springs for these winches. After several weeks of searching I had some sets made..
    You can buy stainless piano wire on ebay and elsewhere in different thicknesses.
    Making a spring is fiddly but not that difficult after a bit of experimentation. I had to make some for my boat cabin door latches. They are still working fine after several seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    I'm happy to be corrected. It is perhaps ten or fifteen years since I heard about Harken springs through the Westerly Owners' Association, so even if it was true then Harken may well have changed design since.
    Harken and others do provide some wire springs, but they would have to be modified to work in these winches. They don't have long enough limbs to make the hook that grips around the pawl or the loop that fits round the thin post on the base plate or handle pawl.

Harken

Gibb (the spring for the bottom handle)
    Lever springs.jpg

Gibb (the spring for the bottom handle)
    Lever springs.jpg
    I think mine were different. The baseplate (or handle) end was straight and the pawl end was a simple right angle bend. It's been a while, but I think I could have made one of those Harken ones fit. Someone upthread says that the Gibb design changed, which could explain it.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12