Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mooring options

Default Mooring options

Hi all,

So so far I've been enjoying my boating experience, haven't thrown up once! (Give it time) So now I'm starting to look into getting my own boat. What I can't find is pro-tips on how to short hand, but I suppose I'll learn that later (much later). In the mean time, to find out how affordable boating is (or isn't) I've been looking at storage options. (12m/40ft, no I don't expect it'll be quite that size, but that's more or less the ball park).

Clearly the boat has to be put somewhere more or less sensible, you need to have decent access at the very least. I don't have a tender (and probably won't be getting one for a while) so it seems mud berths are not really a viable option.

Now, I kinda need to be south wales, north somerset is not really viable (nor is milford haven, but sure I'll consider it, I mean sure it's £3,100...).

The average Berthing cost I'm coming up with is approx £3021.56 or £251.80 a month. With Penarth being unrealistically expensive (I mean seriously £3900 a year!), Swansea and CBYC seem the best value (if you don't need anything fancy). Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas that I could look in to? I can't see anywhere providing water taxi's so I can't use an Trot/Mud mooring (or I would definitely consider...ah the naivety).

Default Re: Mooring options

If you want cheap, you get swinging mooring or mud etc.

You pay for the convenience of an alongside berth in a marina.

I don’t understand your aversion to getting a tender. If you anchor somewhere how are you going to get ashore? Perhaps I’m biased but I’ve NEVER sailed a boat without a tender. ( Unless the occasional round the cans race without a tender on board counts)
    Semper aliud

Thank you for taking the time to respond, much appreciated.

No aversion to getting a tender. This would be my first boat and tender is way down on the list of priorities. Initially, it'd be a lot short jaunts simply to get used to the vessel and establish/improve sailing skills. I'd happily pay for a taxi to get to and from the boat if necessary.

I certainly appreciate that there is a premium for marina berthing Penarth is out of my price bracket, but since the boat is likely to be smaller then there should be plenty within my capabilities (namely Swansea for the first year, Milford as a second option based on price alone). However I was wondering if the community were aware of any others that aren't easily found.

So far on my list is:
    Milford Marina - £3100~
    Neyland (Milford) - £3050~
    CYC - £3,000
    CBYC - £2,500
    Penarth - £3,900 (ouch)
    Swansea - £2,600
    Portishead - £3,900
    Barry (not sure I have the right fees) - £900 (I assume this is based on mud only fees).

I wonder if just walking out prior to the tide coming in, getting on the boat and then waiting would be worth it
    Last edited by Luminescent; 23-08-19 at 20:38.

There's not much in the way of swinging moorings in the channel and you may struggle to find a mud mooring for a 40 footer. If you go slightly smaller mud and clubs can be very cheap (£200ish). You either have marinas or clubs, clubs being cheaper but you have to be willing to chip in. If clubs aren't your thing, and you will consider Milford Haven then Rudders Boatyard will stick a 40 footer on a swinging mooring for £1600 and have a water taxi (and free tender storage I believe).

Edit, if you do the club route, it may be worthwhile visiting and joining a club you like, speaking to a few people and crewing before buying a boat. You'll learn loads.
    Last edited by Yellow Ballad; 23-08-19 at 20:39.
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

Hi, when you say slightly smaller, how much do you mean?

I also forgot that the mud might not always been as deep as required. Something to consider.

I have no problem with chipping in with a club (some caveats but I'm sure I can accommodate). I'll take a look at the Rudder's boat yard then. Last time I checked there was no mention of a water taxi. Much appreciated.

NUSC I think is 38ft limit, possibly 36 and I'm sure other clubs are similar CYC, CDYC and possibly Barry YC. It'll be prudent to ask before buying a boat, and find out of there's a waiting list for the type of boat and mooring you're after.

Pretty sure Rudders water taxi is £2 ew but may only run in season. A tender/outboard you may get with your new boat, as mentioned you'll want one sooner or later.

Oh as for walking out and waiting, even with a big Bristol Channel tide you'll soon get bored of that. If you're mooring a fin you'll not be able to walk on the glup that's called mud without sinking upto your eyeballs and getting stuck in it as the tide comes in around you. A tender for £50 will be top of your list.
    Last edited by Yellow Ballad; 23-08-19 at 21:45.
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

Interesting as the boat I'm looking at, at the moment is a 34ft. (10.5m ish).

...O.o didn't realize tenders were that cheap. It'll be top 'o my list.

CDYC 30ft....9mtrs Max for moorings. No lift out facilities.

Join Cardiff Yacht Club and get a mooring spot. c. £600 a year all in.

You would need a small tender to row 100 yards out to the boat. Tender can be kept at the club - £50-100 should get you something old but serviceable. There might even be one going free at the club if you ask around. Pontoon mooring (stern or bow to pontoon) is a similar price but requires “buying” the mooring for about £2,700 (I think) one time cost, refundable when you leave the club.

Traditional members club with good facilities and easy walking distance to the bright lights of Cardiff Bay. All tide access to the boat and the channel.
    Last edited by Dutch01527; 24-08-19 at 07:42.

Hi welcome.
    Good luck hunting for boats, that's the fun bit, and when you sell it. But I had a 38 footer berthed in penarth marina years ago and I can't speak highly enough of the place, good security and excellent staff, showers laundry and even a TV room. What I didn't factor in properly was traveling costs and time from home which at that time was Hereford. So bear that in mind over marina costs, just because the further away one is cheap to berth, traveling to and from the boat might cost more in the long run.
    I now live in Corfu and do miss the Bristol channel chop (not)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast