Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mooring options

Default Re: Mooring options

I also spotted Swansea Sub Aqua club that seems to have decent prices too.

Thanks Tok for that, I'm hoping for over 30ft if I can get it though, but it's certainly worth keeping track of if the right boat comes along.

Dutch, I have no issues with buying the berth, capital costs I can deal with, on going costs take some budgeting for. That said I had no idea they were refundable. Your advice is appreciated.

38mess, oh I'm not doubting Penarth Marina, it's just outta my budget. I'm more or less equidistant from swansea and cardiff (as the car travels), though Milford is certainly further so yeah I'll take that point and make the alterations to my spreadsheet. After adding this to my spreadsheet (and including Chepstow) it actually seems like Swansea will be cheaper for me at least for the first year (pontoon wise) or CYC depending on whether I get a tender asap. (As Chepstow won't take the boat , but if the right boat comes along and I pop the figures in, it'll definitely be considered.)

Quote Originally Posted by Luminescent View Post
    I also spotted Swansea Sub Aqua club that seems to have decent prices too.

Thanks Tok for that, I'm hoping for over 30ft if I can get it though, but it's certainly worth keeping track of if the right boat comes along.

Dutch, I have no issues with buying the berth, capital costs I can deal with, on going costs take some budgeting for. That said I had no idea they were refundable. Your advice is appreciated.

38mess, oh I'm not doubting Penarth Marina, it's just outta my budget. I'm more or less equidistant from swansea and cardiff (as the car travels), though Milford is certainly further so yeah I'll take that point and make the alterations to my spreadsheet. After adding this to my spreadsheet (and including Chepstow) it actually seems like Swansea will be cheaper for me at least for the first year (pontoon wise) or CYC depending on whether I get a tender asap. (As Chepstow won't take the boat , but if the right boat comes along and I pop the figures in, it'll definitely be considered.)
    It would be wise to check the max Loa that yacht clubs allow. I think 36f rings a bell.

Quote Originally Posted by 38mess View Post
    It would be wise to check the max Loa that yacht clubs allow. I think 36f rings a bell.
    I can't find any blanket limit with SYSAC but I've been reliably informed there is a limit for Chepstow, I'll make sure to keep an eye out in future research.

Thanks all for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminescent View Post
    I can't find any blanket limit with SYSAC but I've been reliably informed there is a limit for Chepstow, I'll make sure to keep an eye out in future research.

Thanks all for your help.
    CYC used to have a limit of 36feet but I believe it's been increased to at least 38feet. There may be some extra stipulations for vessels over 36feet.
    Allan
    Sailblogs.com search Brilliant with Hilary and Allan as crew. Password Bristol.

Dutch, I have no issues with buying the berth, capital costs I can deal with, on going costs take some budgeting for. That said I had no idea they were refundable........CYC depending on whether I get a tender asap. [/QUOTE]

Thanks, you only need to “buy” the pontoon berth at CYC. A mooring bouy costs c.£250 a year plus club membership with no capital cost. The tender should not be an issue, it is only 50 to 100 yards. No need for anything fancy. Probably free or less than £100. Even boats with a good inflatable onboard have a second tender, usually old but solid grp boat, to get to and from the mooring so that they do not have to inflate / deflate before a trip. These tenders are kept in the water on a pontoon. I paid for a pontoon berth but the mooring boy option probably must be one of the cheapest all tide, full facilities choices on the upper Bristol Channel.

That said if I lived reasonably close to Swansea I would base my boat in Milford Haven (probably Dale). Much better day or weekend cruising base. The upper channel is very limited by tides and restricted access to just about everywhere. Swansea is tide / opening hours limited as well.
    Last edited by Dutch01527; 26-08-19 at 20:37.

Hm, I can't seem to find anything about a limit at CYC, it simply says x amount up until 25ft then x amount for every foot thereafter. I'll follow up with an extra check if I start looking at boats that size (budget depending of course). Especially as CYC looks to be a reasonably good deal (not as good as Swansea but that might change). Milford however is a touch on the expensive side (due to it's location I'm not surprised) and as far as Dale is concerned, I can't seem to figure out how much they are actually charging (and I don't wanna ask directly as I'd be wasting their time).

The restrictions on the tides doesn't matter for me, provided there's at least one tide every 24hrs, I can manage the rest.

Note: CYC have a Single Membership Fee and a Mooring Fee (I'm assuming berth maintenance doesn't apply to Trot moorings), for me that would work out at about £525 per annum. The pontoon something like £3,000 (to be expected). It's a bit far north of my budget range for the first year (Joining fee and such included) XD.

Thanks everyone for that additional information and the prod to re-check. Honestly I wish some of the Yacht Clubs would be clearer with their prices!
    Last edited by Luminescent; 27-08-19 at 00:08. Reason: Stripped out unnecessary stuff.

I had a 21ft Colvic on a mooring at Dale, and if I recall correctly we paid about £110 per season, which is only the 6 months of the summer, then we had to berth it up in Milford Haven. Not sure if that was the correct price as we first had the mooring for a smaller boat that we bought of a club member who "knew someone" in the club as it were. ..We are now up in Neyland, upper bason, and pay roughly £1000 for 12 months on a 17ft boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    CYC used to have a limit of 36feet but I believe it's been increased to at least 38feet. There may be some extra stipulations for vessels over 36feet.
    Allan
    CDYC reluctantly declined my application for a 33 foot boat.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

If you are budgeting ongoing costs then you need to take step back and look at the big picture. I am assuming the 40ft boat will not be new due to your comments on the tender....

1. First is the cost of the boat (which is a small part of the total overall costs over say a 5 - 10 year ownership period)
    2. Then you have the cost of immediate refit - i.e. fixing all the broken stuff to make it seaworthy, replacing missing safety gear etc
    3. You then have the costs of parking it somewhere.
    4. The cost of ongoing maintenance (not just bottom paint once a year, but the cost of hauling out, pressure wash, chocking and shoring up, haul in - these can all add a significant sum to the annual maintenance especially in the commercial marinas that charge all sorts of extras).
    5. The cost of all the ancillary gear to make the boat operational - charts, oilies, tender, outboard, all the stuff to sort the caravanning side of it (pots, pans, cuttlery etc) the list goes on.

If you have limited experience of ownership, I would suggest looking at younger boats that are beamier but with a shorter LOA so that you have better space but hopefully avoid to much of points 2, 3 and 4. Almost everything is charged based on the LOA and a large and old knackered boat could easily bankrupt you with the cost of repairs and replacement (i.e. point 2 above). I have seen this happen many times when people fall in love with the dream but do not understand what they are really getting themselves into. The tears when the yard boss tells them its 40k to replace the teak deck when they only paid 50k for the boat!

If you are half way between Cardiff and Swansea then choose one of those. Cardiff has 24hr access but is still restricted heading west as you have to deal with the tidal gate at Lavernock point. Swansea is time restricted access but you start your sail from further west so it opens up the western end of the channel for weekend cruising. Either will be fine for a few seasons and if you get board you can then move to Milford even if it is only for the summer whilst keeping a cheap club mooring in Cardiff for the winter which will allow easier access to the boat for routine maintenance. The problem with keeping it permanently in Milford is having to drive down there every other weekend during the winter months to sort all the routine maintenance, air the boat etc.

If you are in south wales I would avoid Portishead (too restricted weekend cruising), certainly not Watchet as it is too long a drive. I live in Bristol and choose Cardiff.

Swansea Sub Aqua club looked good when I went to view a boat for sale there so I would be looking at that more closely, otherwise one of the clubs in Cardiff.

This is not the solent and water taxis are few and far between so you will need a tender and an outboard is pretty well essential in my book as well if you actually want go cruising for the weekend.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by steveej; 29-08-19 at 15:24.

Quote Originally Posted by steveej View Post
    If you are budgeting ongoing costs then you need to take step back and look at the big picture. I am assuming the 40ft boat will not be new due to your comments on the tender....

1. First is the cost of the boat (which is a small part of the total overall costs over say a 5 - 10 year ownership period)
    2. Then you have the cost of immediate refit - i.e. fixing all the broken stuff to make it seaworthy, replacing missing safety gear etc
    3. You then have the costs of parking it somewhere.
    4. The cost of ongoing maintenance (not just bottom paint once a year, but the cost of hauling out, pressure wash, chocking and shoring up, haul in - these can all add a significant sum to the annual maintenance especially in the commercial marinas that charge all sorts of extras).
    5. The cost of all the ancillary gear to make the boat operational - charts, oilies, tender, outboard, all the stuff to sort the caravanning side of it (pots, pans, cuttlery etc) the list goes on.
    Note: Resale value is not important to me, I generally use stuff until it's only remaining use is scrapping (I've budgeted that cost too).

Large post so I won't quote it all!

1. The cost of the boat is something I am considering, I'm not at the stage where I have the budget or the skills (but both will be obtained in due course, I also have a few options that are opening up to me recently that may make the whole process much cheaper).
    2. I'm keeping the cost of an immediate refit in mind, but I'm not buying a boat that isn't seaworthy. If the survey says: Nuh, this won't go to see as it stands, it'll sink... then I'm not buying it. As a first boat a 'project' is not what I have in mind and yes I'm aware that I'll need to add a premium to my capital budget to achieve that.
    3. That's something I've contemplated and have an outline budget for including potential inflation. Though granted only for the first year as after that if available I plan to make use of cheaper options.
    4. Some of this I have in mind and I'm working on understanding, but obviously, it can be as expensive as you want to make it. Aside from seasonal maintenance, that boat will be staying in the water all year. Not sure what you mean by chocking.
    5. Again you can make this as expensive or not as you please. So far all the sailors I've actually met, don't actually use oilies for general sailing and the same goes for some of the sailing blogs (How to Sail Oceans case in point). Allegedly some of those items are quite cheap (cheaper than I had been budgeting for) and Caravan/Camping is something I know how to do! .

Still fair points and worth pointing out. (I'll be coming back to this thread a few times to review all the points given as progress is made).

The tip re which boat type to go for is a point worth taking, though I suspect the budget will largely dictate depending on what is available. Your point about teak is also well taken, some people like teak, I'm not so fussed and if I can find a suitable boat without I'll certainly consider it. My aim is to 'Go sailing' not "look at me don't I have a pretty boat". (Actually none of the boats I've been looking at have a teak deck of any kind not even in the cockpit XD).

Portishead is also stupidly expensive! Swansea Sub Aqua Club is also pretty good on the price (at least for what I'm looking at) however there may be restrictions I can't find on boat length :/. Shall see.

As for an outboard, I can row or I can learn to scull >_>. Too many horror stories of outboards being stolen for my liking...and I dun like engines at the best of times. Noisy smelly things.

Your post is very helpful and thought out, it is also very much appreciated there are some things I may very well have to give more weight to as well, as progress is made.
    Last edited by Luminescent; 29-08-19 at 16:21.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast