Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: VHF Channel 37 or M

My SH (an early UK model) uses 'N0 (zero) for 37 and N1 for 80.

The club launchman is not permitted to answer the mobile phone while operating the launch. Leave a text and they will pick it up when back to the hammerhead.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Quote Originally Posted by tillergirl View Post
    The club launchman is not permitted to answer the mobile phone while operating the launch. Leave a text and they will pick it up when back to the hammerhead.
    That's interesting, is he allowed to talk on the VHF? What's the difference?

You are not allowed to use mobile phone when driving a motor vehicle but you are allowed to use a two way radio.
    Leisure Owners Association

Quote Originally Posted by peteK View Post
    You are not allowed to use mobile phone when driving a motor vehicle but you are allowed to use a two way radio.
    Doesn't that apply only to road vehicles?

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    Doesn't that apply only to road vehicles?
    Well that is the law. But if you were risk assessing the process would you consider the risks perhaps similar and conclude if you don't allow your vehicle drivers to talk on phones (allegedly it causes the same level of distraction as legal alcohol limit when just hands free) you shouldn't allow a 'high speed' boat with an unguarded propellor to do the same. That doesn't mean using a radio is safe but here are some thoughts:

- Is the phone waterproof? If you need both hands quickly you can let go of the radio and not worry about it getting wet.
    - You need to hold the phone to your ear (I'm assuming it hasn't got bluetooth, if it does it will be cr@p in the wind!). That means you become single handed. On PB2 course you are taught 1 hand on wheel, 1 hand on throttle at ALL times.
    - Radio traffic expects delays between messages. Phone traffic does not.

In my experience its almost impossible to use a VHF in a RIB while doing 30kts even as crew. Engine noise and wind noise force you to stop. A phone may differ...

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
    - You need to hold the phone to your ear (I'm assuming it hasn't got bluetooth, if it does it will be cr@p in the wind!). That means you become single handed. On PB2 course you are taught 1 hand on wheel, 1 hand on throttle at ALL times.
    Following that rule would mean that the launch operator couldn't use a VHF either...

Following that rule would mean that the launch operator couldn't use a VHF either...
    My experience on a RIB, you'd almost always have to come off the throttle...

I don't know the reason which actually came about the decision (members don't have a problem with it) but generally phone calls come in at busy VHF times and cause difficulties e.g. when taking a phone call, several VHF calls can come in at the same time, vice versa whilst at the same time delivering or collecting peeps alongside. Some times conditions need care. Believe me at weekends it can become very busy. Mid week generally there is no problem and the launchman can pick up text messages from members once he has gone back to the hammerhead.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Most launches have the VHF on a speaker, so they only need a hand to reply. Most water taxis get plenty of chance to reply while customers are faffing about embarking or disembarking, or they can knock it into neutral mid harbour etc, I've used a fair few water taxis and never felt using the VHF has been done in a risky way.
    USing the VHF on a club RIB, we have a 'crew' but it's almost always best to stop or idle to talk.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Most launches have the VHF on a speaker, so they only need a hand to reply.
    I was commenting on ShinyShoe's post "On PB2 course you are taught 1 hand on wheel, 1 hand on throttle at ALL times.". Maybe you missed that bit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast