Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default Using Supermarket Diesel ?

Having just topped up with red diesel at the nearby MDL marina at a cost of 128p a litre I have realised it's now within 10p of the cost of Tesco fuel.
    So why not use that. I have large cans as often fill up with red bought from the local fuel station on the Grand Union canal.

The engine is a Volvo D2-40, so their latest range of engines, though is 10 years old. All the manual says about fuel is that it "must comply with latest national and international standards such as EN590, ASTMD975 No1-D and 2-D, JIS KK 2204 and that Sulfur content must comply with the latest legal requirements in each country. It then says that Low density fuel (urban diesel in Sweden or city diesel in Finland) can cause loss of 5% power and 3% increase in consumption"

So no mention of "FAME", whatever that is!

So what do you all think, is supermarket fuel OK to use in these relatively more modern diesel engines ?

Andrew
    Andrew

Default Re: Using Supermarket Diesel ?

Yes it's OK to use, but it's a bit of a pain to cart and dispense from cans.

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

I’ve been using white diesel in the boat since we left UK waters 10 years ago. No problems with it at all, I just make sure whenever possible to buy from busy fuel quays or mini tankers to minimise the chance of contaminated fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafiki View Post
    Having just topped up with red diesel at the nearby MDL marina at a cost of 128p a litre I have realised it's now within 10p of the cost of Tesco fuel.
    So why not use that. I have large cans as often fill up with red bought from the local fuel station on the Grand Union canal.

The engine is a Volvo D2-40, so their latest range of engines, though is 10 years old. All the manual says about fuel is that it "must comply with latest national and international standards such as EN590, ASTMD975 No1-D and 2-D, JIS KK 2204 and that Sulfur content must comply with the latest legal requirements in each country. It then says that Low density fuel (urban diesel in Sweden or city diesel in Finland) can cause loss of 5% power and 3% increase in consumption"

So no mention of "FAME", whatever that is!

So what do you all think, is supermarket fuel OK to use in these relatively more modern diesel engines ?

Andrew
    all uk road fuels have to meet EN 590
    David

I fitted a new Yanmar 3YM30 to my old boat and happily used supermarket diesel for 5 years afterwards with no problems either enginwise or with fuel bug.
    I used one of the £3 syphon tubes with a simple ball valve fitting to transfer it a jiggler Think they were called.

In many waterside fuel berths, red diesel at 60:40 is actually dearer than fully duty paid white diesel from the roadside. I am struggling to understand how that is possible, short of dispenser greed.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    In many waterside fuel berths, red diesel at 60:40 is actually dearer than fully duty paid white diesel from the roadside. I am struggling to understand how that is possible, short of dispenser greed.
    Volume.

I don't buy that argument. It might account for a couple of pence per litre, but with marine red selling for 10p per litre more than road white in at least one place, when the duty on the fuel should be 40% less, and you pay 5% Vat on 40% of your fuel, something doesn't quite add up.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Captive market?

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    So, what would be the cost difference on 100% duty free against white? Seems their resistance to stocking white rather than red may not be valid if the commercial guys are paying virtually the same price anyway.

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast